The Rincon del Diablo Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized on October 24, 1954, and its charter
was issued January 5, 1956. The organizing members were Mrs. H. V. Arndt, Mrs. C. Victor Brannon, Mrs. Hookes, L. Campbell,
Mrs. George A. McDonald, Mrs. J. Colvin Proctor, Mrs. James Richardson, Mrs. Thomas P. Chambers, Mrs. Eva Barnhart, Mrs. James
A. Bacon, Mrs. James Carnigie, Mrs. James V. Howe, Mrs. William J. Kirk, Mrs. Robert C. Person, Mrs. Harold J. Pranten, Mrs.
Bert Wade, Mrs. Winston Williams, Mrs. William O. Rogers, Miss Mary Jane Richardson, Mrs. Roy Keating, Mrs. Henry F. Bigenhagen,
Mrs. Elva Malone, Mrs. Marion Edgecomb, Mrs. Archie Rumbaugh, Mrs. Edna Evans and Mrs. Harold J. Harper, with Mrs. Wesley
G. Barringer as organizing regent.
Regular monthly meetings were held and dues were $5 per year. By the end of 1954, the chapter consisted of 26 members. The
local chapter is active in programs including national and civil defense, conservation, American history and good citizenship.
As membership dwindled in both the Rancho San Bernardo and Rincon del Diablo chapters in the late 1990’s, the two chapters
merged, retaining the Rincon del Diablo name. The chapter has grown from a very few members in 1998 to just over 100 in 2014.
Since the merger, additional material has been added to the collection. Old scrapbooks from the Rancho San Bernardo Chapter,
yearly press release notebooks and annual scrapbooks of the activities and services in which the Rincon del Diablo Chapter
participated and copies of genealogical records that have been submitted by members to be added to the California State DAR
and the national DAR Library collections are now included.
Daughters of the American Revolution - Rincon del Diablo Chapter Collection, Pioneer Room, Escondido Public Library.