The Camp Fire records document the activities of the now defunct groups in the Sacramento region. Now known simply as Camp
Fire, Camp Fire Girls was established in Sacramento in the 1920s, and was a popular and inclusive organization for more than
seventy-five years until it dissolved in 2009. Native American culture was a prominent influence on the group's values, attire,
names, and ranks. The numerous books, scrapbooks, photographs, and artifacts make the bulk of the collection and provide the
framework and foundation for each series.
Camp Fire Girls was established by Dr. Luther Gulick and Charlotte Gulick in 1910 as a non-profit youth agency. It was incorporated
in Washington D.C. as a national agency on March 17, 1912. Since its founding, Camp Fire has upheld and promoted WoHeLo, which
stands for the core values of Work, Health, and Love. These values have been central to the group, as is the Camp Fire law,
which is to Worship God, Seek Beauty, Give Service, Pursue Knowledge, Be Trustworthy, Hold onto Health, Glorify Work, and
17.6 linear feet
(16 boxes + 65 artifacts)
All requests to publish or quote from private collections held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted
in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Center for Sacramento History
as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must
also be obtained by the patron. No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.