The George A. Applegarth collection primarily documents the construction of Clyde, California, a company town built for the
employees of the Pacific Coast Shipbuilding Company and funded through a United States government loan. The collection documents
both the planning and growth of company towns and the construction of low cost housing. Correspondence includes memoranda
from Bernard Maybeck, supervising architect on the project.
George A. Applegarth was born October 4, 1876 in Oakland, California. He began his professional career as a draughtsman for
his uncle George Sanders, of the architectural firm Wright & Sanders in San Francisco. After studying at the University of
California, Berkeley under Bernard Maybeck, and at his encouragement, Applegarth attended the Ecole des Beaux-Arts, where
he was a member of LaLoux atelier, and received his diploma in 1906.
4.5 Linear Feet:
2 boxes, 4 card file boxes, 6 oversize folders, 1 tube
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the
Collection is open for research. Many of the Environmental Design Archives collections are stored offsite and advance notice
is required for use.