The William M. Tipton Papers, 1887-1978 (bulk 1893-1918), document the personal and professional life of William M. Tipton.
The records consist of pamphlets, correspondence, Spanish vocabulary lists, photographs, land surveying tools, government
documents, newspaper clippings, and various notes. This collection is arranged into three series: Series I. William M. Tipton's
Personal Papers, 1887-1978 (bulk 1893-1918); Series II. Lists of Spanish Terms with English Translations, n.d.; and Series
III. Surveyor Tools and "The Gift of Tongues" Manuscripts, 1915-1923 (bulk 1915-1917).
William M. Tipton was born in Dayton, Ohio on February 20th, 1857. His family moved to Brownsville, Nebraska the following
year and his father Thomas Weston Tipton was elected to the United States Senate after the end of the Civil War. During Thomas
Tipton's incumbency, the family lived in Washington, D.C. where William Tipton was educated at the Emerson Institute. William
Tipton briefly taught in the Brownsville, Nebraska public schools before accepting a position in the office of the Surveyor
General of the Territory of New Mexico in Santa Fe. In order to read old governmental documents from New Mexico from its time
under the governance of Spain and Mexico, Tipton learned Spanish and began to develop skilled understanding of land grants
and how to handle Spanish language documents specifically. Because of this self-taught expertise, he worked as a land surveyor
and protected the U.S. government from fraudulent land claims in the New Mexico Territory. Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California's oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. "About SCU – History." www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J.
The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.
1.79 linear feet
(1 document box, 1 archival binder and 1 flat box)
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
The collection is open for research. There are no restrictions.