The San Diego Electric Railway Company was incorporated by A.B. Spreckels in 1892 after he acquired the entire property of
the ailing San Diego Street Car Company for $115,000. The original officers were A.B. Spreckels (president), E.S. Babcock
(vice president), Joseph A. Flint (secretary, treasurer, and general manager), John D. Spreckels, and Charles T. Hinde. In
May 1892 they began to transform all existing street car lines to electric power.