The Timothy L. Pflueger Papers contain records related to the professional career of architect Timothy L. Pflueger (1892-1946)
as a member of the firms Miller and Colmesnil, Miller and Pflueger, and Timothy L. Pflueger and Associates. These records
include manuscript materials, photographs and drawings. Records also reflect Pflueger’s collaborative relationships with artists,
as well as his involvement with numerous professional organizations.
Timothy Ludwig Pflueger was born in San Francisco on September 26, 1892 the eldest of seven children. In 1907, following the
1906 earthquake, he began his architectural training as a draftsman in the office of James Rupert (J.R.) Miller (1869-1946)
and George T. De Colmesnil. He continued to assist Miller and Colmesnil, and was given his first solo assignment to design
the Our Lady of the Wayside Church for The Family Club in Portola Valley when the firm was busy with their entry for the 1912
San Francisco City Hall competition. Miller continued to run the firm after the departure of Colmesnil in 1913, and partnered
with Pflueger on larger projects, including the Neoclassic Metropolitan Life Insurance Company building in San Francisco from
1914 to 1919. Following his successful design for the Castro Theater, Miller invited Pflueger to join him as a full partner
in 1923. Miller and Pflueger continued their partnership until 1937 when Miller retired.
109 linear feet
(32 cartons, 3 boxes, 149 tubes, 47 oversize folders)
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for
any use rests exclusively with the user.
Collection is open for research.