Bliss Ranch Collection
Finding aid created by Glendale Central Library History Room staff using RecordEXPRESS
Glendale Library, Arts and Culture. Glendale Central Library History Room2021
222 E. Harvard Street
Glendale, California 91205
Title: Bliss Ranch Collection
Collection Number: BRC
Extent: 0.75 linear feet, 1 box
Repository: Glendale Library, Arts and Culture. Glendale Central Library History Room
Glendale, California 91205
Abstract: The collection consists of a small, disassembled album of mounted photographs depicting the Bliss Ranch, owned by brothers John Dallett Bliss and Robert Parker Bliss from the mid to late 1890s. The ranch was located near the base of the Verdugo Mountains in Glendale, California, on property once part of the Rancho San Rafael Spanish land grant. In 1900,Leslie C. Brand purchased the property and shortly thereafter he sold a tract to the Pacific Electric Railway. Bliss Station became the northern terminus for a line extension running from downtown Los Angeles to the Verdugo Mountains. The property also included the Sepulveda Adobe, which the railroad turned into the legendary Casa Verdugo restaurant, a popular tourist destination known nation-wide.
Language of Material: English
The collection is open for research use.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has not been transferred to Glendale Central Library. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Bliss Ranch Collection. Glendale Library, Arts and Culture. Glendale Central Library History Room
Purchase, Zeitlin & Ver Brugge Booksellers.
The collection consists of a small, disassembled album of mounted photographs depicting the exterior and interior of the ranch house, barn, livestock, and citrus plantings encompassing the ranch of brothers John Dallett Bliss and Robert Parker Bliss ca. 1896. A few of the photographs are portraits of horses and dogs, and although people are also included, none are identified. Also included in the collection are reproductions of the photographs in the form of prints, slides, and negatives. Additional material consists of photocopied pages from reference sources assembled by Glendale Library staff. Of particular interest is a photocopied map of the ranch property in 1894 noting ranch boundaries as well as the location of the house, barn, and the Sepulveda Adobe. The collection also includes a reproduction of a photograph of the house as it appeared while it was occupied by John McMillan and his family, circa 1905.
Rancho San Rafael
Bliss, John Dallett, 1862-1934
Bliss, Robert Parker, 1870-1900
McMillan, John, 1838-1921
Rancho San Rafael (Calif.)
Los Angeles County (Calif.)