Chartered August 7, 1905; 55.68 miles between Stockton and Sacramento. The line was opened to Lodi on September 2, 1907,
and to Sacramento on September 1, 1910. On January 1, 1928, it was acquired jointly by the Southern Pacific Company, Santa
Fe and Western Pacific on condition that it sell its street car lines in Stockton to the Stockton Electric Railroad Company,
a then wholly-owned Southern Pacific Company subsidiary which had been operating the street car lines for a number of years
under lease. The first locomotive officially built at the Central Pacific shops in Sacramento, CP 2-55, later SP 1272 and
1516, was sold to CCT on May 4, 1910, and presumably disposed of when the line was electrified all the way through to Sacramento.
Electrification ceased in 1946. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California:
1967), p. 368]
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of
the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.