The Gabrielle Sullivan, SNDdeN Papers, 1890-1994 (bulk 1959-1979), document the research of Sr. Gabrielle Sullivan, SNDdeN
(Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur) and her investigations of the Murphy family. The records consist of research materials and
correspondence related to the Murphy family and Sullivan’s academic work. This collection is arranged into one series: Series
I. Sr. Gabrielle Sullivan, SNDdeN Research Materials, 1890-1994 (bulk 1959-1979).
Sr. Gabrielle Sullivan, SNDdeN (1911-2002) was a historian of early California and wrote her dissertation for a master’s
degree on Martin Murphy, Jr. (a pioneer of Irish descent who arrived in the San Jose area before the California Gold Rush
and Mexican-American War). She was born on June 15th, 1911 in San Francisco. Sr. Sullivan, SNDdeN taught at various Notre
Dame institutions before becoming Assistant Professor of History at the College of Notre Dame in Belmont, CA (now Notre Dame
de Namur University). Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name.
0.42 linear feet
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
Collection is open for research.