Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (58.49 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Biographical / Historical
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Scope and Contents

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: San Diego Air and Space Museum Library and Archives
    Title: VPB-106 Collection
    Identifier/Call Number: SDASM.SC.10223
    Physical Description: .75 Cubic Feet This collection covers the wartime operations of VPB-106 from June 1943 to October 1946. The materials were removed from the original binders and placed in archival folders with reference to the original binder numbers. Original order was maintained during processing. The collection contains documents, newspaper clippings, and photographs. This collection is housed in two boxes, one measuring 10” x 12.75” x 16.75” and another measuring 5” x 10.5“ x 15.5”. The photos from this collection have been digitized. This collection is housed in two boxes, one measuring 10” x 12.75” x 16.75” and another measuring 5” x 10.5“ x 15.5”. The photos from this collection have been digitized.
    Date (bulk): bulk
    Abstract: This collection covers the wartime operations of VPB-106 from June 1943 to October 1946. The materials were removed from the original binders and placed in archival folders with reference to the original binder numbers. Original order was maintained during processing. The collection contains documents, newspaper clippings, and photographs.

    Biographical / Historical

    Established as Bombing Squadron 106 (VB-106) on 1 June 1943 and later designated VPB-106 (Patrol Bombing Squadron) on 1 October 1944. VPB-106 operated until 5 October 1946. A common nickname used by this squadron was “Wolverators”. VBP-106 utilized two primary aircraft during their three-year existence: the Consolidated PB4Y-1 Liberator and P4BY-2 Privateer. Overall, the squadron was stationed at four home bases: Camp Kearney (Miramar, Calif.), Kaneohe Bay (TH), NAS San Diego, Calif.), and Palawan. The squadron was widely dispersed to accommodate their mission and flew regularly from many other airfields, including Tinian, Mindoro, and Samar. The Wolverators performed long-range patrol and interdiction missions against Japanese shipping and land targets. During their first tour, the squadron claimed 16 enemy aircraft and 43 ships damaged or destroyed. Led by Commanding Officers CDRs J.T. Hayward and William S. Sampson, the squadron conducted hundreds of dangerous missions, earned numerous awards, and was vital to success in the pacific. Post war, the squadron continued their operations in the south Pacific, until disestablished on 5 October 1946.

    Conditions Governing Access

    The collection is open to reseaerch. Some restrictions may apply.

    Scope and Contents

    This collection is housed in two boxes, one measuring 10” x 12.75” x 16.75” and another measuring 5” x 10.5“ x 15.5”. The photos from this collection have been digitized.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Patrol Bombing Squadron 106 (VPB-106)
    Consolidated PB4Y Privateer
    World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area