A guide to the Patricia L. Watt photographs, 1994 April
Processed by: L. Bianchi, September 2014.
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park2015
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
A Guide to the Patricia L. Watt photographs
P94-033San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, National Park Service
2015, National Park Service
Title: Patricia L. Watt photographs
Date: 1994 April
Identifier/Call Number: P94-033 (SAFR 24255)
Creator: Watt, Patricia L.
Physical Description: 41 items.
Repository: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, Historic Documents Department
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
Abstract: The Patricia L. Watt photographs, 1994 April, (SAFR 24255, P94-033) are comprised mainly of photographs of sites in Dumbarton, Scotland, and Cardiff, Wales that relate to the history of BALCLUTHA (built 1886; ship, 3m). The collection has been processed to the Collection level and is open for use.
Physical Location: San Francisco Maritime NHP, Historic Documents Department
Language(s): In English.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
All of the photographs have handwritten information on the verso. Note that all photographs of the Pierhead Building are incorrectly identified as the Coal Exchange Building.
The descriptions in this collection guide were compiled using the best available sources of information. Such sources include the creator's annotations or descriptions, collection accession files, primary and secondary source material and subject matter experts. While every effort was made to provide accurate information, in the event that you find any errors in this guide please contact the reference staff in order for us to evaulate and make corrections to this guide.
Please cite the title and collection number in any correspondence with our staff.
[Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], P94-033 (SAFR 24255), Patricia L. Watt photographs, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
The collection was a gift from Patricia L. Watt in 1994. Ms. Watt took the photographs during a vacation to Great Britain in April 1994.
Historical or Biographical Note
This collection does not include a historical or biographical note.
The Patricia L. Watt photographs, 1994 April, (SAFR 24255, P94-033) are comprised mainly of photographs of sites in Dumbarton, Scotland, and Cardiff, Wales that relate to the history of BALCLUTHA (built 1886; ship, 3m). The collection has been processed to the Collection level and is open for use.
Contains photographs of Robert McMillan's home in Dumbarton, Scotland, the Cardiff docks in Wales, and other sites in Great Britain, 1994 April. There are 41 unique photographic images (color photographic prints, 4 x 6 in.). Some of the photographs relate to the history of BALCLUTHA (built 1886; ship, 3m). Robert McMillan was the original owner of BALCLUTHA which was built by Charles Connell and Company in Glasgow, Scotland. On her maiden voyage, BALCLUTHA sailed from Cardiff, Wales, to San Francisco, California.
- Items 01-07: Exterior views of the gatehouse and home of Robert McMillan in Methlan Park, Levengrove, Dumbarton.
- Items 08-12: Dumbarton Castle. Item 12 is a photograph of an exhibit panel with information about the site.
- Item 13: Site of original McMillan shipyard in Dumbarton, with Dumbarton Rock visible in the distance.
- Items 14-17: Small craft anchored in Leven River. The Dumbarton Rock is visible in the distance in some of the photographs.
- Item 18: Denny ship model testing tank building, part of the Scottish Maritime Museum, in Dumbarton.
- Items 19-20: View across the Leven River from Levengrove Park. The brick buildings in the distance are a grain distillery on the site of the former Archibald McMillan shipyard in Dumbarton.
- Item 21: Dumbarton as seen from the foot of Dumbarton Rock, with the grain distillery on the right.
- Items 22-24: High Street, Dumbarton.
- Item 25: Exhibit panel with an aerial view of the Leven Shipyard in Dumbarton in 1949 (former site of the Denny and McMillan shipyards).
- Item 26: Train on the outskirts of Dumbarton.
- Item 27: Poster of an illustration of the Swansea Docks in Wales.
- Items 28-34: Cardiff docks.
- Items 35-39: Pierhead Building near the Cardiff docks. SEA ALARM (tugboat) is docked in Item 38 and Item 39 is a photograph of the Pierhead Building lobby.
- Item 40: Coal railcars displayed at the Cardiff docks.
- Item 41: Plate rolling mill at the Cardiff docks.
No arrangement due to the small size of the collection.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Docks and ports
Color prints (photographs)