A guide to the Donald V. Reardon vessel documents, 1901-2003
Processed by: Historic Documents Department Staff, 8 December 2017.
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park2018
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
A Guide to the Donald V. Reardon vessel documents
HDC1512San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, National Park Service
2018, National Park Service
Title: Donald V. Reardon vessel documents
Identifier/Call Number: HDC1512 (SAFR 22007)
Physical Description: 74 items.
Repository: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, Historic Documents Department
Building E, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
Abstract: The Donald V. Reardon vessel documents (SAFR 22007, HDC1512) collection consists of certificates of inspection, crew lists, shipping articles, financial statements, bills of sale, stock certificates, American President Line vessel data and publications.The collection is a combination of three accessions, SAFR-01508, SAFR-01521 and SAFR-02356. The collection is available for use.
Physical Location: San Francisco Maritime NHP, Historic Documents Department
Language(s): In English.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The descriptions in this collection guide were compiled using the best available sources of information. Such sources include the creator's annotations or descriptions, collection accession files, primary and secondary source material and subject matter experts. While every effort was made to provide accurate information, in the event that you find any errors in this guide please contact the reference staff in order for us to evaulate and make corrections to this guide.
Please cite the title and collection number in any correspondence with our staff.
[Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], HDC1512 (SAFR 22007), Donald V. Reardon vessel documents, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
All materials received from Donald V. Reardon or members of his family.
Biography: Donald V. Reardon was born in New York City in 1914. He attended Georgia Tech and then University of Michigan, where he graduated in 1935. His first job as a naval architect was with Gibbs and Cox in New York City. After 5 years he joined the Technical Division of the old Bureau of Marine Inspections and Navigation. The Coast Guard took over the Bureau of Marine Inspections during World War II and Reardon became a Coast Guard reserve officer stationed on the West Coast doing plan approvals for conversion of commercial vessels to military vessels primarily focusing on stability for transports. Reardon retired from the Coast Guard in 1964 and became senior naval architect at American President Lines where he remained until 1975. (Source: Donald V. Reardon oral history, 1983, American President Line, Ltd)
The Donald V. Reardon vessel documents (SAFR 22007, HDC1512) collection consists of certificates of inspection, crew lists, shipping articles, financial statements, bills of sale, stock certificates, American President Line vessel data and publications.The collection is a combination of three accessions, SAFR-01508, SAFR-01521 and SAFR-02356. The collection is available for use.
- 1. Certificates of inspection for various steam powered passenger and freight vessels built or residing in Eureka, CA, 1901-1905. 6 items.
- 2. Crew lists for the Spokane and Geneva and a collectors certificate of crew list, 1918-1919. 3 items.
- 3. Shipping articles for the Spokane and Geneva, 1918. 2 items.
SAFR-01521: 4. Financial statements, invoices, bills of sale of enrolled vessels, stock certificates and other documents concerning C.J. Hendry Company, Marine Investment Company, Wood & Hart, Incorporated and others, 1908-1929. 46 items.
- 5. Newspaper clippings, 1973, 1975
- 6. American President Lines memo, 1975
- 7. SS President Van Buren passenger list, 1970 February 19 (military)
- 8. American President Lines Gangway newsletters, 1965 May " 1974 December (2 folders)
- 9. Menus, 1969-1970
- 10. Newsletters, brochures, published materials, 1957-1973
- 11. American President Lines vessel information, 1975-1980
- 12. American President Lines data, 1963-1981 & undated
- 13. American President Lines vessel histories, 1979-1981
- 14. U.S. Navy Chemical Warfare training, 1944-1950, 1995
- 15. American President Lines vessel characteristics, 1976-1977
- 16. Notes on Binding a Book based on lessons learned from Haakon Jenssen, 1950
- 17. Record book with vessel data and loose clippings, 1940-1959 (mostly blank)
- 18. Seamasters specifications for APL cargo ship by George G. Sharp Co, Interior Design " Meri Jaye and Associates, 1964 June 30
- 19. MARAD C.D.S. Title XI Trade-In Policies Design Classification Ex. Ord. 12185 Laws & CFR, 1979-1983 (2 folders)
- 20. C9 " M " 132b Data book, 1981 (includes folded plans)
- 21. Vessel data, 1969, 1976, 1981-1991, 2003
The collection is open and ready for use.
Arranged in accession number order.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
Reardon, Donald V.
C.J. Hendry Company
United States. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Shipping