Taylor, an original forty-niner, had business interests in the Santa Rosa, California area. He established a popular resort,
White Sulfur Springs, and owned valuable land in downtown Santa Rosa. He built the most substantial business block at that
time, known as the Taylor Block. Collection includes legal and financial records, printed matter, creative works, and ephemera.
Donated by Taylor's niece, Hazel Taylor, in 1970.
John Shackelford Taylor (1828 - 1927), an original California forty-niner, was for years identified with the stock-raising
and business interests of Sonoma County. In the year 1853 he settled on 1,400 acres of land near Santa Rosa. On this land
was the White Sulphur Springs, a favorite Northern California resort. He also owned a valuable lot on Fourth Street, extending
through to Fifth Street, on which he erected one of the finest and most substantial business blocks of the city at that time,
known as the Taylor block.
Taylor was closely identified with every movement that was for the advancement of the county. He was one of the organizers
of the Santa Rosa Bank and he also served a term as president of Santa Rosa Bank. Mr. Taylor was also one of eleven men who
constructed a race track in Santa Rosa.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary
Collection is open for research by appointment.