The Pinedo Family Papers, 1826-1901 (bulk 1842-1901), document the Pinedo family and life at Mission Santa Clara prior to
the laicization of the mission. The records consist of the reminiscences of Encarnación Pinedo, author of
El Cocinero Español, along with two copies of her book, property records, military documents, reproductions of marriage and baptism certificates,
devotional books, newspaper clippings, family portraits, and photographs of railroad cars. This collection is arranged into
one series: Series I. Pinedo Family Life, 1826-1901 (bulk 1842-1901).
In the early to mid-1800s, the Pinedo family was prominent in the Santa Clara Valley, and its history is intertwined with
that of Mission Santa Clara and the city itself. The family was well-placed, as is evidenced by Encarnación Pinedo's account
of attending the wedding of Juan Bautista Alvarado, the governor of Alta California, in 1839. According to Encarnación's personal
writings, her father Lorenzo Pinedo built the first family residence in Santa Clara in 1844. The house was located just outside
of the Mission Santa Clara grounds on what is now the north side of Alviso Street.Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California's oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name.
1.21 linear feet
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
Collection is open for research.