Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Barat College Blueprint collection
USDSC_2019_006  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (78.04 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note
  • Scope and Content Note
  • Arrangement
  • Access
  • Preferred Citation
  • Custodial History
  • Processing Information
  • Bibliography
  • Index Terms

  • Overview of the Collection

    Title: Barat College Blueprint collection
    Date (inclusive): circa 1940-1956
    Collection number: USDSC_2019_006
    Creator: Hill, Rosalie Clifton
    Extent: 1 oversize folder
    Repository: University of San Diego, Archives and Special Collections
    Copley Library
    5998 Alcalá Park
    San Diego, CA 92110
    spcoll@sandiego.edu
    Abstract: This collection contains blueprints for Barat College's Old Main building and buildings added in the 1950s.
    Languages: English

    Historical Note

    For nearly forty years, what was known as "Old Main" was the sole building on the Barat College campus in Lake Forest, Illinois. Built in 1904, the building was home to the Seminary of the Sacred Heart. Barat College was incorporated in 1918, and dormitories and the Chapel were added to Old Main in the 1920s. The Old Main building served both the Sacred Heart Academy and Barat College until 1961. By the 1940s, with rising attendance, improvements were needed for the building. Science laboratories and classrooms were added to the fourth floor. The library was relocated to a larger space in the building. Designed by Alphonse M. Schmitt, the new library was ready for use in November 1942. During the 1950s, six new buildings were added to the Barat College campus. These buildings included the Gymnasium and Theatre (named the Hilton Building and completed in Fall 1956) and the Dormitory and Dining Hall (named Stuart Dining Hall and Conference Center. Students began moving in October 1957).
    Mother Rosalie Clifton Hill served as the Superior Vicar of the Religious of the Sacred Heart during the expansion of Barat College in the 1950s. Hill was the highest authority for decisions made at RSCJ schools and building construction. She therefore would have had input into construction of the Barat College additions. Additionally, Mother Hill founded the San Diego College for Women and was integral to the design of the College. Mother Hill may have utilized Barat College blueprints for College for Women and College for Men design inspiration.

    Scope and Content Note

    This collection contains blueprints of the Sacred Heart Academy and Barat College ("Old Main") building, the Barat Gymnasium and Theatre building, and the Barat College Dormitory.

    Arrangement

    Blueprints are arranged chronologically.

    Access

    This collection is open for research.

    Preferred Citation

    [Folder Title], Box # Folder #, Barat College Blueprint collection, Copley Library, University of San Diego, Archives and Special Collections.

    Custodial History

    These blueprints were mailed from Barat College and Convent of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest, Ill. to Reverend Mother Hill San Diego College for Women in an envelope postmarked November 7, 1956.

    Processing Information

    This collection was processed by Ashley Toutain in 2019.

    Bibliography

    Curry, Martha. Barat College: A Legacy, a Spirit, and a Name. Loyola Press: Chicago, 2012.
    Barat College. Archived website accessed December 2, 2019. https://web.archive.org/web/20001001083457/http:/www.barat.edu/welcome/index.html .

    Index Terms

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Hill, Rosalie Clifton, 1878-1964

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Barat College
    Loebl Schlossman and Bennett

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Lake Forest (Ill.)

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    architectural drawings (visual works)
    blueprints (reprographic copies)