This collection contains business records and correspondence of Miller & Lux, the largest producer of cattle in California
and one of the largest landowners in the American West, with materials dating from the company's founding in 1858 to the 1930s.
The materials were collected by Kern County Museum director Frank F. Latta (1892-1983).
Henry Miller (1827-1916) and Charles Lux (1823-1887), both German immigrants, partnered in 1858 and created the Miller & Lux
Company, headquartered in Los Banos in the San Joaquin Valley. The company was one of the creators of agribusiness in California.
Miller & Lux became the largest producer of cattle in California and one of the largest landowners in the United States, owning
land in California, Nevada, and Oregon. The company also operated meatpacking plants in San Francisco. Following Miller's
death in 1916, the company declined; by the 1930s most of its property had been sold. Miller & Lux formally dissolved in 1964.
344.75 Linear Feet
(Approximately 280 boxes, 150 volumes, and maps)
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material,
nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and
obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information, contact Reader