This collection contains information on the history and inhabitants of Calvary Cemetery and its transformation into Pioneer
Park, compiled by the Hillcrest-Mission Hills Improvement Association.
In 1874, the city of San Diego purchased land with the intended purpose of creating a cemetery, half of which to be designated
for a Catholic cemetery and half for a Protestant cemetery. The Protestant half was never utilized, while the first Catholic
burial took place in 1875. Burials took place at a regular rate up until 1919 when the Holy Cross Cemetery was opened and
became the more popular location. Without much church or city attention, the cemetery fell into disrepair. In 1931 the idea
of turning the place into a park was floated and the debate began between preserving the cemetery and protecting those entombed,
and re-developing the cemetery and protecting the neighborhood from the eyesore the cemetery had become.
0.5 Linear feet
The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.
This collection is open for research.