The Mount Wilson Observatory Legal Papers comprise one box of material relating to
the founding, construction, and operation of the institution dating from 1903 to
Founded in December 1904 by George Ellery Hale and funded by the Carnegie
Institution, the Mount Wilson Observatory quickly became one of the 20th century’s
major astronomical research centers. Located just north of Los Angeles high atop the
San Gabriel Mountains, the observatory took full advantage of Southern California’s
clear nights and uniquely steady air. The observatory’s 60” telescope completed in
1908 was the largest then in existence. In 1917, another Mount Wilson telescope,
100” in diameter, claimed that title.
The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to
quote from or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such
activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is
one, and obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.
Open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services
Department. For more information, contact Reader Services.