Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
UCSF Cornerstone Collection
AR.2015.09  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.96 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Preferred Citation
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Separated Materials
  • Acquisition Information
  • Additions
  • Processing Information
  • Organizational History
  • Scope and Contents
  • Arrangement

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: University of California, San Francisco Archives & Special Collections
    Title: UCSF Cornerstone Collection
    source: University of California, San Francisco
    Identifier/Call Number: AR.2015.09
    Physical Description: 2.05 Linear Feet 1 carton, 2 manuscript boxes, and 1 oversize folder.
    Date (inclusive): 1895-1968
    Abstract: The cornerstone of the medical school, laid on March 27, 1897, was comprised of a copper box which functioned as a time capsule. The copper box was unearthed and cut open in March of 1967 when the building was torn down. Collection includes materials related to the cornerstone time capsule, including publications and memorabilia buried inside it, as well as publications commemorating the centenial of the medical school.

    Preferred Citation

    UCSF Cornerstone Collection, AR 2015-9. Archives and Special Collections, University of California, San Francisco.

    Conditions Governing Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the Library and Center for Knowledge Management. All requests for permission to publish or quote from material must be submitted in writing to the UCSF Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Library and Center for Knowledge Management as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.

    Separated Materials

    Oversize materials have been stored in the flat files of the UCSF Archives and Special Collections.

    Acquisition Information

    Collection was separated from the archives legacy university classification system.

    Additions

    No future additions are expected.

    Processing Information

    Processed by David Uhlich in 2015.

    Organizational History

    The original UCSF Medical School Building was completed in 1898 and torn down in the spring of 1967. The building was erected to consolidate the Affiliated Colleges onto Parnassus Avenue. The site was donated by the mayor of San Francisco, Alfred Sutro, in 1895. The cornerstone of the medical school, laid on March 27, 1897, was comprised of a copper box which functioned as a time capsule. The copper box was unearthed and cut open in March of 1967 when the building was torn down.

    Scope and Contents

    Collection includes materials related to the cornerstone time capsule, including publications and memorabilia buried inside it, as well as publications commemorating the centennial of the medical school, including San Francisco newspapers, a copy of the site deed donated by Adolph Sutro, photos of the Affiliated College Buildings, and University announcements of the establishment of the schools of medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, and law.

    Arrangement

    Collection is arranged by material type.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    University of California, San Francisco
    Sutro, Alfred