Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Sonoma County District Court records, 1850-1946 (bulk: 1850-1879 )
SCG.00051  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (113.12 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection contains records reflect various aspects of the operations of the District CourtDistrict Court. These include: registers of actions in civil and criminal cases heard in the District Court, and fees paid; liens for state and county taxes; lists of defendents and plaintiffs; minutes of each court session, court actions, and rules of the court.
Background
The first Constitution of California was written by the forty-eight delegates of the 1849 California State Constitutional Convention meeting at Colton Hall in Monterey during the months of September and October 1849. It was signed by the delegates on 13 October 1849 and ratified by the people of California in an election held a month later on 13 November 1849. Under this constitution the judicial department of California was to consist of a Supreme Court, District Courts, County Courts, Justices of the Peace, and such municipal and other inferior courts the legislature may establish as may be deemed necessary.The delegates of the second California State Constitutional Convention of 1878-1879 produced a second California State Constitution that was adopted in Convention at Sacramento on 3 March 1879 and ratified by a vote of the People of the State of California on 7 May 1879. Article XXII, section 3 of this Constitution abolished all courts then existing, including the District Courts, except for the Justices’ and Police Courts, and Article VI, section 1 established a new judicial department composed of a Supreme Court, Superior Courts, Justices of the Peace, and such inferior Courts as the Legislature may establish in any incorporated city or town, or city and county. All records, books, papers, and proceedings from the abolished Courts were to be transferred to the new Courts on 1 January 1880.
Extent
46 volumes, 1 box
Restrictions
Property rights reside with the Sonoma County Library. The Sonoma County Library has made this collection available and believes that the collection is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Collection may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Preferred credit line is: Courtesy, the Sonoma County Library. Please see additional reproduction and reuse information at
Availability
Materials stored offsite, but collection is open to research. In many cases, further details on individual volumes can be found by calling staff at the Sonoma County History and Genealogy Library. To view these materials, please call staff at to request they be brought from the Archives to the Library