The Phyllis Wheatley Club of the East Bay Records include administrative records, correspondence, event invitations and programs.
Administrative records consist of the club’s constitution and by-laws, meeting minutes and notes, and financial ledgers.
Named after African American poet Phillis Wheatley (c.1754 – 1784), the Phyllis Wheatley Club of the East Bay was founded
in 1914 by Mrs. Fred Williams and Hettie B. Tilghman. The original intent of the club was to cultivate young black women and
encourage their contributions to the community. Over the next two decades, it quickly became a charitable organization focused
on fundraising efforts that supported local organizations, community services, and programs in the East Bay. The club’s fundraising
activities took the form of annual flower shows, annual Mother’s Day breakfasts, fashion shows and community theater.
2.5 linear feet
(3 boxes + 1 oversized)
Permission to publish must be obtained from the African American Museum & Library at Oakland.
No access restrictions. Collection is open to the public.