The Kingsley Art Club records consists of 10 linear feet of administrative records, newsletters, scrapbooks and exhibition
information. The collection is arranged into five series: Series 1. Administrative records, Series 2. Annual art show exhibitions,
Series 3. Scrapbooks, Series 4. Photographs, Series 5. Art Club trips.
The Kingsley Art Club, the oldest art club in the American West, was formed in March 1892 to create a deeper enthusiasm and
appreciation for art in the community. It was named in honor of Mr. Elbridge Kingsley, the famous New England painter-engraver
and with the inspiration of the gift of the Crocker Art Gallery by Mrs. E. B. Crocker to the City of Sacramento containing
a large number of very valuable and original “Old Masters” paintings. Each year the Kingsley Art Club in cooperation with
the Crocker Art Museum organizes a juried competitive exhibition open to all artists in Northern and Central California for
the continued encouragement of art throughout the Sacramento community.
10 linear feet
All requests to publish or quote from private collections held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted
in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of CSH as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron.
No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
Collection is open for research use.