This collection consists of an Oakland Tribune article about the KAIULANI, "Square-rigger's remains return," from July 3,
1978. Researchers should note that this collection was part of a larger accession that includes photographs. Researchers should
consult the Park's reference staff to see if the photographic materials have been processed or cataloged. The collection is
open for use.
According to "The Dictionary of Nautical Literacy," the KAIULANI was built in 1899 in Bath, Maine for service between San
Francisco and Hawaii. The 250-foot, three-mast bark was the last American-built square rigger. The KAIULANI was also the last
American square rigger in regular commercial service. The ship left San Francisco in September 1941 on its final voyage. The
KAIULANI picked up lumber in Aberdeen, Washington and sailed around Cape Horn to Durban, South Africa and then onto Sydney,
Australia. Once in Sydney, KAIULANI was converted into a barge to support U.S. forces in the Pacific. In 1963, a group of
maritime enthusiasts formed the National Maritime Historical Society with the goal of restoring the KAIULANI and returning
it from the Philippines to the United States. In October 1964, Philippine President Diosdado Macapagal donated KAIULANI to
the U.S. Efforts to raise funds to restore the ship failed, and it was broken up in 1974.