The National Council of Jewish Women – Sacramento Section was chartered in 1959. The administrative records of the volunteer
organization include eight subseries: artifacts, club events, club records, finances, meeting minutes, photographs, publications
and reports. The bulk of the material dates from 1960s to the 1990s. The collection includes newsletters, financial reports,
social invitations, information on community service projects and convention materials.
The Sacramento Section of the National Council of Jewish Women was chartered in 1959 and is dedicated to applying Jewish values
to social programs including domestic abuse/violence (the Family Shalom program), elder abuse, women’s issues, and child welfare
locally, nationally, and in Israel. Club members host member events, including luncheons, community-building activities, as
well a Chanukah party for seniors each year. Lectures are held throughout the year on reproductive rights of women, current
issues in Israel, and other special topics. Members take an active role in disseminating information on pertinent topics to
local news outlets and create a regular newsletter to send to its members. Fundraisers for their many programs have included
the Brick List program, Heritage Cookbook, Taster’s Choice, raffles, a thrift store, and more recently Mahjong tournaments.
5 linear feet
All requests to publish or quote from private collections held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted
in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of CSH as the owner of the physical
items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron.
No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
Collection is open for research use.