Loyola Marymount University Archives St. Vincent's College Records UA.001.001

University Archives St. Vincent's College Records
Marisa Ramirez
William H. Hannon Library, Archives & Special Collections, University Archives
Loyola Marymount University
William H. Hannon Library, Archives and Special Collections
1 LMU Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 90045

Language of Material: English
Contributing Institution: William H. Hannon Library, Archives & Special Collections, University Archives
Title: St. Vincent's College
Identifier/Call Number: UA.001.001
Physical Description: 3.55 Linear Feet 10 document boxes
Date (inclusive): 1865-1910

Conditions Governing Use

Materials in the Department of Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, Loyola Marymount University does not claim ownership of the copyright of any materials in its collections. The user or publisher must secure permission to publish from the copyright owner. Loyola Marymount University does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or of publication rights held by the original author or artists or his/her heirs, assigns, or executors.

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to research under the terms of use of the Department of Archives and Special Collections, William H. Hannon Library, Loyola Marymount University.

Biographical / Historical

Loyola Marymount University (LMU), located in Los Angeles, California, was founded as Loyola College of Los Angeles in 1911 by members of the Society of Jesus after the closure of St. Vincent’s College, a school for boys created by Vincentian Fathers in 1865. Loyola College grew quickly and a new campus was selected in 1917. In 1920, Loyola College began offering graduate level education by founding a separate law school. Official establishment of a graduate division would not occur until June 1950 even though the law school continued to thrive and after a Teacher Education Program at Loyola College had been created in 1948. Continued growth of the college prompted a second move for Loyola College in 1929 to the current campus in Westchester. Incorporated as Loyola College in 1918, the school achieved official university status in 1930. While Loyola University was experiencing a high growth rate in the early 20th century, so was the education program offered by the Religious of Sacred Heart of Mary for young women that had begun in 1923. In 1933, Marymount Junior College was opened in Westwood, Los Angeles. The college continued to grow; in 1948 the Junior College became a four-year university and granted its first baccalaureate degrees in 1948. In 1960, Marymount College moved to a campus on the Palos Verdes Peninsula to accommodate its growing student body. In 1968, Marymount College moved one last time to share the Loyola University campus. Although the two schools shared a physical space, Marymount College and Loyola University were still two separate schools and remain so for five years. Loyola Marymount University was officially named in 1973 after Loyola University and Marymount College merged. Student-run newspapers and periodicals have been a longstanding tradition in LMU’s history, beginning in 1920 with The Cinder in the Eye, the official newspaper of Loyola College. In 1923 the newspaper’s name changed to The Loyolan, and later to The Los Angeles Loyolan, which is currently published weekly in print and updated daily online. Newspapers and periodicals continue to be a great way for students to not only share news, but to showcase their ideas, opinions, and writing skills with the LMU community.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

All material in this collection has been transferred to University Archives from Loyola Marymount University.


The collection has been arranged in the following series: general history and documents, publications, student life.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

Loyola University (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Loyola Marymount University
Los Angeles (Calif.)

box 1

Series 1: General History and Documents

Scope and Contents

Includes facsimiles of articles and photographs along with original documents and correspondence.

Series 2: Publications



box 2


box 3



"S.V.C. Student" magazine

box 4

1891, 1897-1899, 1901-1903; Vol. I-VI

box 5

1904-1906; Vol. VII-X

box 6

1907-1908; Vol. X-XII

box 7

1909-1910; Vol. XII-XIII

box 8

1909-1910; Vol. XIII bound copies

box 9

1910-1911; Vol. XIV

box 10

1910-1911; Vol. XIV bound copy


Series 3: Student Life



Box 11, Folder 1

Crew newspaper clipping, photocopy 1904-04

Box 11, Folder 2

Baseball newspaper clippings 1905

Physical Description: Most clippings do not have dates.
Box 11, Folder 3

Baseball 1934 reunion event flyer

Box 11, Folder 4

Basketball team portrait, photocopy 1908

Box 11, Folder 5

Athletics newspaper clipping, photocopy 1911-04-27


Student Organizations

Box 11, Folder 6

Field Day and Picnic newspaper clippings 1934-06-10

Scope and Contents

Features photographs from a May 13, 1896 outing to Crystal Springs on old Tajuata Ranch (present day Watts).
Box 11, Folder 7

Saint Vincent's Lyceum meeting minutes notebook 1897-1900

Box 11, Folder 9

Shakespeare Club event programs 1901-1904

Box 11, Folder 10

Shakespeare Club event tickets 1909

Box 11, Folder 11

Concert and drama event programs 1886, 1896-1898

Box 11, Folder 12

Father Healy Dramatic Society program for "The Man on the Box" 1910-01-14

Box 11, Folder 13

Dramatic Society article on "Sedecias"

Box 11, Folder 14

Dramatic Society program for "The Man From Home"