Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Goldberg (Cantor Henri) Collection
MS-0508  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (88.47 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Scope and Contents
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Conditions Governing Use
  • Source of Acquisition
  • Custodial History
  • Preferred Citation
  • Biographical Note
  • Accruals

  • Contributing Institution: Special Collections & University Archives
    Title: Cantor Henri Goldberg Collection
    Creator: Goldberg, Henri
    Identifier/Call Number: MS-0508
    Physical Description: 2.50 Linear Feet
    Date (inclusive): 1969-1970
    Language of Material: English .

    Scope and Contents

    The contents of the collection consists of correspondence, writings, poems, sermons, autobiographical information regarding his career as a cantor and materials from the JCC choir including scrapbook contents, copies of newspaper clippings, programs and photographs, copies of lectures and services, songbooks and musical plays. The collection also includes reel to reel tapes of services and concerts at the JCC and at the various congregations where he officiated. Fourteen of these tapes have been transferred onto CD's and are included with this collection.

    Conditions Governing Access

    This collection is open for research.

    Conditions Governing Use

    The copyright interests in some of these materials have been transferred to or belong to San Diego State University. The nature of historical archival and manuscript collections means that copyright status may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Copyright resides with the creators of materials contained in the collection or their heirs. Requests for permission to publish must be submitted to the Head of Special Collections, San Diego State University, Library and Information Access. When granted, permission is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical item and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder(s), which must also be obtained in order to publish.  Materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials.

    Source of Acquisition

    Laurel Schwartz, Jewish Historical Society of San Diego (JHSSD)

    Custodial History

    In July 2003, Cantor Goldberg's papers and music were given to Maestro David Amos by the cantor's wife, Mollie Goldberg. David Amos gave them to the new Astor Judaica Library at the Lawrence Family JCC which gave his personal papers to the JHSSD in 2004. The sheet music collection was kept by the Astor Judaica Library. Included in the collection are the Cantor's personal papers and a scrapbook donated by Sylvia Arden in October 2004 regarding the 54th St. JCC Music Committee and Cantor Henri Goldberg. More materials were donated by the Library Committee in 2011.

    Preferred Citation

    Identification of item, folder title, box number, Cantor Henri Goldberg Collection, Special Collections and University Archives, San Diego State University Library.

    Biographical Note

    Born in 1892, Henri Goldberg received his music education at Stern's Conservatory in Berlin, under the direction of Professor Gustav Hollaender. He was director of the Detroit Jewish Folk Chorus for 15 years, performing with guest artists such as Alexander Kipnis and Regina Resnik . Simultaneously, he was choir director for the largest Conservative Congregation in Detroit, Sharey Zedek , music teacher at various Jewish schools and choirmaster of several secular choirs in nearby cities. In 1959 he was appointed cantor and choir director for Temple Isaiah in Lafayette, California. In 1963, in San Diego, he was cantor for the brief life of Temple Solel, a breakaway congregation from Congregation Beth Israel and cantor after its merger back into Beth Israel in 1968. He also held positions at Tifereth Israel Synagogue and Beth Tefilah Congregation in the 1970's. He directed the Jewish Community Center Choir at the 54 th St. Jewish Community Center during the 1960's. He was also an avid fisherman.

    Accruals

    2014-018