Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
A guide to the News Magazine of the Screen motion picture film, 1950-1960
P11-005 (SAFR 24256)  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.77 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access
  • Publication and Use Rights
  • Processing Note
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Historical or Biographical Note
  • Collection Scope and Content
  • Collection Arrangement
  • Related Materials

  • Title: News Magazine of the Screen motion picture film
    Date: 1950-1960
    Identifier/Call Number: P11-005 (SAFR 24256)
    Creator: Pathe News
    Physical Description: 1 item.
    Repository: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, Historic Documents Department
    Building E, Fort Mason
    San Francisco, CA 94123
    Abstract: The News Magazine of the Screen motion picture film, 1950-1960, (SAFR 24256, P11-005) is comprised of two newsreel segments titled "The Call of the Sea," about the Mystic Seaport Museum, and "Last of Our Full Riggers" about the San Francisco Maritime Museum's 1954-1955 restoration of BALCLUTHA (built 1886; ship, 3m). The collection has been processed to the Collection level and is open for use.
    Physical Location: San Francisco Maritime NHP, Historic Documents Department
    Language(s): In English.

    Access

    This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.

    Publication and Use Rights

    Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

    Processing Note

    A digital copy of the film is available.
    The descriptions in this collection guide were compiled using the best available sources of information. Such sources include the creator's annotations or descriptions, collection accession files, primary and secondary source material and subject matter experts. While every effort was made to provide accurate information, in the event that you find any errors in this guide please contact the reference staff in order for us to evaulate and make corrections to this guide.
    Please cite the title and collection number in any correspondence with our staff.

    Preferred Citation

    [Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], P11-005 (SAFR 24256), News Magazine of the Screen motion picture film, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

    Acquisition Information

    SAFR-02170
    The film was a gift from Steve Lawson in 2011. The Park originally received the film in April 2009. Mr. Lawson purchased the film from eBay.

    Historical or Biographical Note

    This collection does not include a historical or biographical note.

    Collection Scope and Content

    The News Magazine of the Screen motion picture film, 1950-1960, (SAFR 24256, P11-005) is comprised of two newsreel segments titled "The Call of the Sea," about the Mystic Seaport Museum, and "Last of Our Full Riggers" about the San Francisco Maritime Museum's 1954-1955 restoration of BALCLUTHA (built 1886; ship, 3m). The collection has been processed to the Collection level and is open for use.
    Contains News Magazine of the Screen newsreel segments about two museums: the San Francisco Maritime Museum and the Mystic Seaport Museum, 1950-1960. There is 1 reel (400 ft.) of 16 mm black-and-white film with optical sound. Kodak safety positive projection print. Produced by Pathe Pictures, Inc. Running time is approximately 13 minutes total. "News Magazine of the Screen Vol. 5 & 8 Issue 1 & 9" was handwritten on a sticker on the film canister (now discarded).
    The first segment is titled "The Call of the Sea" and features footage at the Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic, Connecticut. The running time is approximately 6 minutes long. Girl Scout mariners are shown working and living aboard JOSEPH CONRAD (built 1882; ship, 3m). There are views of buildings from the museum's 19th-century seafaring village, including exterior and interior shots of the Charles Mallory sail loft, A. J. Peters shipsmith and whalecraft manufacturer shop, and the Plymouth Cordage Company ropewalk. The footage also shows figureheads and ship models on display in the museum followed by views of CHARLES W. MORGAN (built 1841; bark, 3m: whaler).
    The second segment is titled "Last of Our Full Riggers" and features footage of the San Francisco Maritime Museum's restoration of BALCLUTHA (built 1886; ship, 3m) in 1954-1955. The running time is approximately 7 minutes long. The segment begins with footage of decaying ship hulks followed by views of BALCLUTHA in disrepair. Karl Kortum, Director of the San Francisco Maritime Museum, purchased the vessel in 1954. He is shown examining plans with William Dodge, Jack Rankine, and Max Lembke in the captain's quarters of the vessel. John Rankin, former ship's carpenter during the vessel's sailing days, is shown examining blocks stored below deck. While the narrator describes the history of BALCLUTHA and the volunteer efforts required to restore her, the footage documents volunteers at work doing rigging activities, cleaning, and painting. When the restoration is complete, Inda Francis Durkee, who had been born aboard the vessel in 1899, is shown re-christening the vessel BALCLUTHA in 1955. Next, the footage shows BALCLUTHA leaving the Oakland shipyard under tow to San Francisco. There is a brief view of the exterior of the museum building followed by shots of people touring BALCLUTHA as well as exhibits on board.
    The film reel ends with the text, "This film is one of a series on current events made available as a public service to educational groups by The Arizona Republic and The Phoenix Gazette." This film documents the national importance of maritime preservation, particularly the preservation of BALCLUTHA, in the 1950s.

    Collection Arrangement

    No arrangement due to the small size of the collection.

    Related Materials

    The San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park holds another film reel of "Last of Our Full Riggers" in its collection. See P79-166a, SAFR 14951.
    • This material is located at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Museums
    Ships--Preservation
    Balclutha (built 1886; ship, 3m)
    San Francisco Maritime Museum
    Mystic Seaport Museum
    San Francisco Bay Area (Calif.)
    San Francisco (Calif.)
    Oakland (Calif.)
    Mystic (Conn.)
    Motion pictures (visual work)