Constantine "Gus" Kanelos was a longtime historian and promoter of the Florin area (CDP) of Sacramento County. His decades-long
commitment to recording and sharing Florin's history is expressed through his own historic narratives, poetry, images, ephemera,
scrapbooks and school reunion paraphernalia.
Constantine "Gus" Kanelos was born in Sacramento, California on November 6, 1928, to a family that owned a ranch and the Kenlos
Bros. Wholesale butcher shop, both located in the Florin area of Sacramento County. With Greek father and Italian mother,
Kanelos entered Florin West Elemenbtary School speaking both languages but with little knowledge of English. In time, Kanelos
went on to attend Elk Grove Union High School, Sacramento Junior College, and Grant Technical College and then enjoyed a long
career as a teamster and union shop steward arbitrator within the trucking industry. Kenlos' civic life included a run as
president of the Florin Elementary School PTA and American Portugese Club, plus his founding of both the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks, Lodge 2577 and Florin Historical Society. His affinity for veterans manifested itself through Kanelos' role
as a veterans advocate, legislative lobbyist and founder of the Unaffiliated Veterans Advocate Coalition.