Avon Carlson was the first student body president of the Cal Poly Voorhis campus, which opened in 1938. The collection includes
correspondence, photographs, and clippings documenting Carlson's time as a student at the Voorhis campus.
The Voorhis School for Boys was founded by Charles B. Voorhis and his son, Horace Jeremiah "Jerry" Voorhis, in San Dimas,
California in 1928 as a residential school for underprivileged boys. The elder Voorhis was a former automotive executive and
the younger a recent Yale graduate who had spent his early career working at a Chicago orphanage. Jerry Voorhis served as
the school's headmaster until 1936, when he left to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives. Charles Voorhis took over
his son's duties for the next two years before deciding to retire and close the school.
0.92 Linear Feet
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository
and the copyright holder.
Advance notice required for access.