The records of Tejon Ranch includes subject files, internal
correspondence files, financial statements, tax files, lease files and photographs.
The bulk of the records are from 1933 and later, although a few items date from the
1912 purchase of the ranch by Los Angeles investors. The subjects documented in the
records include the governance of the ranch, including the records of the board of
manager and board of directors, 1936 incorporation, and the issuance of bonds. The
records also document daily operations of the ranch. Prominent subjects includes
stock raising, farming, rights-of-way, historic Fort Tejon, hunting and flower
Edward S. Beale, formed Tejon Ranch through the purchase of portions of four Mexican
Land Grants – Rancho La Liebre, Rancho el Tejón, Rancho los Alamos y Agua Caliente,
Rancho de Castac – the last being purchased in 1866. Encompassing more than 264,000
acres, Beale employed the land to raise sheep until 1880. At one point, more than
125,000 sheep roamed the hills and valleys of Tejon Ranch.
51 document boxes; 21 linear feet, 4 inches; 1 oversize folder; 169
Collection is open for research