The Himovitz Gallery records document the operation of a contemporary art gallery in Sacramento, run by Michael Himovitz and
Charles “Chuck” Miller. Beginning in 1982, the gallery hosted art exhibitions, sold artwork, and oversaw private art installations.
Himovitz and Miller established Sacramento’s Second Saturday Art Walk, supported the Uptown Art District along North Sacramento’s
Del Paso Boulevard, were engaged in art exhibition planning, and hosted numerous community fundraisers. The records reflect
the efforts of the gallery until its closure in 2001, and Miller’s exhibition services through 2007.
Michael Hersch Himovitz was the founder of the Michael Himovitz Gallery, a business that helped develop and support the Sacramento
art community for nearly 20 years. Born December 24, 1948, in Los Angeles, Himovitz grew up in Hanford, California, on a cattle
ranch. He attended college at the University of Arizona where he earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts. After college, Himovitz moved
back to California and started working in residential real estate. In 1977, he moved his family to Sacramento to open a new
branch of his company Himovitz Enterprise. During the housing market downturn in the early 1980s, Himovitz closed the Sacramento
branch and started an art gallery, the Michael Himovitz Gallery.
29.34 linear feet
All requests to publish or quote from private manuscripts held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted
in writing to the archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of CSH as the owner of the physical items and
is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron. No permission
is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
The collection is open for research use. Some information has been redacted for security reasons.