Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Bond Family Photograph Collection
2018.03.13  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (87.59 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Content Description
  • Organizational History
  • Processing Information
  • Access
  • Biographical History
  • Preferred Citation
  • Publication Rights
  • Related Materials
  • Arrangement
  • Separated Materials

  • Language of Material: English
    Contributing Institution: Archives & Special Collections, Santa Clara University Library
    Title: Bond Family Photograph Collection
    source: Spearman, Arthur D.
    Identifier/Call Number: 2018.03.13
    Physical Description: 1.06 linear feet (1 box)
    Date (inclusive): 1895-1906, & undated
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Location: This collection is located in Santa Clara University's Archives and Special Collections.
    Abstract: The Bond Family Photograph Collection, 1895-1906, documents the life of Judge Hiram Gilbert Bond, his wife Laura Higgins, their sons, Marshall and Louis, and their son's wives Amy L. Bond (wife of Marshall), and Mary Bond (wife of Louis). The Bond family lived on their estate, New Park, in Santa Clara, CA. The collection consists of one series: Series I. Photographs.

    Content Description

    The Bond Family Photograph Collection, 1895-1906, documents the life of Judge Hiram Gilbert Bond and his family on their estate in Santa Clara, CA. The collection consists of one leather-bound photograph album, two 120 mm negatives and one 5 x 5" loose photograph.

    Organizational History

    Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California’s oldest operating institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original 21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name.
    Bibliography
    Santa Clara University. “About SCU – History.” www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010)
    McKevitt, Gerald, S.J. The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.

    Processing Information

    Collection processed and finding aid written and EAD encoded by Andrea Hoff in 2018.

    Access

    This collection is open for research.

    Biographical History

    Hiram Gilbert Bond was born on the 10 May 1838 in Farmersville, Cattaraugus County, New York. He graduated from Hamilton College and attended Harvard Law School. Judge Bond held a number of professions throughout his life, ranging from corporate law to investment banking to publishing. In 1866, he became a judge in Orange County, Virginia. In 1868, President Ulysses S. Grant appointed him the Master of Bankruptcy for the state of Virginia. Judge Bond’s business endeavors took place all across the United States, starting in Denver, Colorado, before moving on to Des Moines, Alabama, Tennessee, Boston, Seattle, Santa Clara, and New York.
    Judge Bond married Laura Higgins, and the couple had two sons: Louis and Marshall. In 1895, Bond bought a 95-acre estate called New Park from J.P. Pierce. The estate featured vineyards, a winery, orchards, a pool, and an 18 bedroom house, which was home to Judge Bond, his wife, their two sons, and their son’s wives, Amy L. Bond (wife of Marshall), and Mary Bond (wife of Louis).
    Judge Bond and his son Louis’ dog, Jack, were the basis for the characters Judge Miller and Buck in Jack London’s novel, Call of the Wild. London was a frequent visitor to the Bond estate due to his friendship with Louis and Marshall, whom he met during the gold rush of 1897. London begins Call of the Wild with a description of the Bond estate.
    Judge Bond passed away in Seattle in 1906.
    Bibliography
    Herhold, Scott. “Famous Tale Inspired by Valley Dog, Estate.” The Mercury News, 16 Aug. 2008. (Accessed 12 Feb. 2018).
    “Judge Hiram Bond is Dead.” Los Angeles Herald, Volume 33, Number 182. 31 March 1906. (Accessed 12 Feb. 2018).
    “Letter from Jack London to Marshall Bond 1903.” StoryNet 1996. Originally sent 17 Dec. 1903. http://www.jack-london.org/05-mat-bond-jackletter_e.htm (Accessed 12 Feb. 2018).

    Preferred Citation

    Bond Family Photograph Collection, 2018.03.13, Santa Clara University Library, Archives and Special Collections.

    Publication Rights

    Materials in Archives and Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives and Special Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.

    Related Materials

    Arthur D. Spearman, S.J. Papers, MSS.2014.08.18, Santa Clara University Library, Archives and Special Collections: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/tf6r29n8f2/

    Arrangement

    This collection consists of one series: Series I. Photographs, 1895-1906.

    Separated Materials

    The materials in this collection were originally found in the Arthur D. Spearman, S.J. Papers and were separated in order to aid accessibility.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Santa Clara (Calif.) -- History, Local
    Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County, Calif.)
    California -- History -- Archival resources
    Spearman, Arthur D.