Guide to the School of Fine Arts Records, Academic Departments and Schools, American Jewish University Archives (Institutional Records)

Prepared by Sivan Siman-Tov, American Jewish University
Ostrow Library and University Archives, American Jewish University
Bel and Jack M. Ostrow Library
15600 Mulholland Dr.
Bel-Air. California 90077
310-440-1238
URL: http://library.aju.edu/
Archives URL: http://callimachus.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p15008coll11
E-mail: library@aju.edu
E-mail: sivanst3@gmail.com
© June, 2014
All rights reserved.

School of Fine Arts, Academic Departments and Schools, American Jewish University Archives (Institutional Records)

Collection number: CaLaAJUL1_9

American Jewish University

Bel-Air, CA 90077
Date Completed:
2014
Encoded by:
American Jewish University Archives
© 2014. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Identifier/Call Number: CaLaAJUL1_9
Title: School of Fine Arts, Academic Departments and Schools, American Jewish University Archives (Institutional Records)
Date (inclusive): 1961-1972 inclusive
Collector: American Jewish University; University of Judaism; Brandeis-Bardin Institute (Brandeis, Simi Valley, Calif.)
Repository: University Archives and Ostrow Library, American Jewish University

15600 Mulholland Dr.
Bel-Air. California 90077
Extent: 1 Box (Box 16)
Location: Physical files are housed at the Ostrow Library of the American Jewish University.
Abstract: The records in this series contain materials related to the School of Fine Arts, which originated from the Fine Arts Department.
Language: Materials are in English and Hebrew

Administrative Information

Access:

This collection is open for research with permission from the Ostrow Library staff. Some materials may be restricted. Contact the Archive (sivanst3@gmail.com) or the Library (library@aju.edu).

Accruals:

Additions to this collection may be transferred regularly.

Rights:

Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreement, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright holder. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Preferred Citation:

[Identification of item], School of Fine Arts, Academic Departments and Schools, Guide to the American Jewish University Archive, American Jewish University, Bel-Air, CA 90077.

Acquisition Information:

Collected by various members of the American Jewish University.

Scope and Content:

The records in this series contain materials related to the School of Fine Arts, which originated from the Fine Arts Department.
The American Jewish University Archive is a collection of documents, pamphlets, recordings, letters, publications, photographs, scrapbooks, and ephemera that document the history of the University of Judaism and the Brandeis-Bardin Institute which merged to become American Jewish University in 2007, depicting people, places and events at both campuses.

Organization:

The collection is part of Series 5: Academic Departments and Schools. It is organized in 9 sub-series.
  • V. Academic Departments and Schools: 1947-2014
    • 5. School of Fine Arts 1961-1972
      • Subseries 1. Foundational Materials
      • Subseries 2. Accreditation Materials
      • Subseries 3. Board of Governors of the School of Fine Arts
      • Subseries 4. Catalogs and Schedule of Courses
      • Subseries 5. Registration Summaries
      • Subseries 6. Academic Departments
        • 6.1 Theatre Arts Department
        • 6.2 Creative Writing Department
        • 6.3 Visual Arts Department
      • Subseries 7. Non-Academic Programs
      • Subseries 8. Communications
      • Subseries 9. Faculty

American Jewish University:

The American Jewish University , with its Familian campus in Bel Air, California and Brandeis-Bardin campus in Simi Valley, California, is the outcome of the 2007 union of Brandeis-Bardin Institute (BBI) and the University of Judaism (UJ).
In 1947, the University of Judaism was founded in Los Angeles, the vision of Dr. Mordecai Kaplan, the author of Judaism as a Civilization, who advocated the creation of an educational institution incorporating diverse elements of Jewish civilization and culture under one roof. To carry out his dream, he received the support of the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York and the Bureau of Jewish Education of Los Angeles.
Six years earlier, BCI was founded by Dr. Shlomo Bardin to safeguard against assimilation of young American Jews by making “the great ethical heritage of Judaism” relevant to them. Brandeis Camp Institute was named to honor our nation’s first Jewish Supreme Court Justice, Louis D. Brandeis, who was instrumental as the visionary and primary funder of Dr. Bardin’s initial programmatic endeavor. BBI was located for brief periods of time in Amherst, NH, Winterdale, PA and Hendersonville, NC before finding its home in 1947 in Simi Valley.
For more information, please see our history page at the following link: http://aboutus.aju.edu/default.aspx?id=4742 .

The Bel and Jack M. Ostrow Academic Library:

The Ostrow Library , is designed to meet the needs of the University's faculty and students, as well as scholars conducting research in all fields of Jewish culture and civilization. Members of the general public are also invited to use the Library’s materials for personal enrichment and enjoyment. With approximately 110,000 print volumes, the library's collections have grown consistently through endowments, gifts of major private collections and an ongoing acquisition program.

The Burton Sperber Memorial Jewish Community Library of Los Angeles:

The Burton Sperber Jewish Community Library  at American Jewish University now serves as the official Jewish Community Library of Los Angeles. This new library succeeds the original Peter M. Kahn Jewish Community Library that was formerly housed at the Los Angeles Jewish Federation. Dedicated by his family in memory of noted Los Angeles philanthropist and landscape developer Burton Sperber, this library welcomes the entire Los Angeles Jewish community to enjoy its state-of-the-art facility including regularly scheduled programs for children and families as well as author and other literary encounters.

The Lowy-Winkler Family Rare Book Center:

The Lowy-Winkler Family Rare Book Center , a gift of Peter and Janine Lowy, is home to the Maslan Bible Collection. This unusual assemblage of exceptional volumes includes approximately 4,000 Bibles, some dating back almost to the inception of the printing press. This collection also features bible translations representing most of the written languages of the world, as well as the Kalman-Friedman Collection of Italian Judaica.

The University Archives:

The University Archives  of the American Jewish University is a collection of documents, pamphlets, recordings, letters, publications, photographs, scrapbooks, and ephemera that document the history of the University of Judaism and the Brandeis-Bardin Institute which merged to become American Jewish University in 2007, depicting people, places and events at both campuses.

Photograph and Digital Archive:

  • The American Jewish University Digital Archive  includes photographs, scrapbooks, and ephemera that document the history of the University of Judaism and the Brandeis-Bardin Institute which merged to become American Jewish University in 2007, depicting people, places and events at both campuses. These photographs include great Jewish thinkers who founded AJU and were involved with its growth over the years. The creation of both institutions was made possible by philanthropists to whom we owe the building of University of Judaism and the Brandeis-Bardin Institute.

Audio-Visual Archive:

  • The American Jewish University Audio-Visual Archive  is a collection of audio-visual records of lectures, shows, and events taking place at or produced by the American Jewish University (formerly University of Judaism and Brandeis-Bardin Institute) over the years.

Louis Shub Documentation Center:

  • The Louis Shub Documentation Center  at the American Jewish University is a collection of thousands of articles from various newspapers and periodicals covering a range of subjects. Gathered by Dr. Shub, the former library director of the University of Judaism, the collection was used by students to research subjects such as Israeli and Jewish figures, Foreign Policy, Global Jewish Communities, Israel, the Middle East and many other issues and subjects. The importance of this collection is the juxtaposing of articles from major papers with those of small local papers both covering the same event. The finding aid to the collection can be viewed at: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c85h7jcf/ 

Subjects:

Note

(Library of Congress Subject Headings)

Personal and Corporate Names:
American Jewish University
Brandeis-Bardin Institute (Brandeis, Simi Valley, Calif.)
University of Judaism
Camp Ramah.
Women's League for Conservative Judaism
United Synagogue of America.
Jewish Theological Seminary of America.
National Women's League
University Women of the University of Judaism
Sinai Temple (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Shub, Louis
Lieber, David L.
Greenberg, Simon, 1901-
Wexler, Robert
Turner, Justin G.
Fligelman, Julius, 1895-1980
Heschel, Abraham Joshua, 1907-1972
Kohn, Jacob, 1881-1968
Swig, Benjamin Harrison, 1893-1980
Pressman, Jacob;
Kaplan, Mordecai Menahem, 1881-1983
Finkelstein, Louis, 1895-1991
Levine, Sid
Wise, Aaron M.
Vorspan, Max
Zemach, Benjamin
Helfman, Max
Warren, Earl, 1891-1974
Eisenshtat, Sidney, 1914-2005
Gindi, Elie M.
Bergman, Martin
Jospe, Erwin
Alexander, Hanan A., 1953-
Bradley, Tom, 1917-1998
Dorff, Elliot N.
Cohen, Gerson D. (Gerson David), 1924-
Dortort, David
Goodhill, Victor, 1911-
Gordis, David M.
Schulweis, Harold M.
Glass, Judith
Ray, Eric
Krems, Nathan
Ackerman, Walter I.
Kahn, Peter M., 1878- [from old catalog]
Gordis, Robert, 1908-
Wolfson, Ron
Cohen, Aryeh
Oppenheim, Lois Hecht
Schary, Dore
Zevit, Ziony
Familian, Isadore
Seewack, Benjamin
Ostrow, Jack
Ostrow, Bel
Easton, Harold

Subjects and Indexing Terms

General Subjects:
Judaism.
Zionism and Judaism.
Israel.
Education.
College presidents.
Jewish college presidents
Rabbis.
Philanthropists
Scholars.
Art.
Patrons of education
Board of directors--United States.
College administrators
Libraries.
Jewish artists
Jewish college teachers
Authors.
Faculty, University
Women.
Musicians
College campuses.

Container List

Box 16

Subseries: 5.5:
School of Fine Arts 1961-1972
Archival Materials:

Physical Description: 1 Box
Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Fine Arts Department (1949-1961), see Box 16.

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Fine Arts Program (1973-), see Box 15.

Scope and Content Note

This subseries contains materials related to the School of Fine Arts, which originated from the Fine Arts Department.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Developed from the Fine Arts Department (1949-1961), the School of Fine Arts was founded in 1961 with Max Helfman as Dean, Max Vorspan as Director, Benjamin Zemach as the head of the Department of Drama, Joseph Young as the head of the Visual Arts, and Eric Ray as Art Director. The School was "dedicated to the high purposes of a creative renaissance in Judaism". It included a Theatre Arts Department, Visual Arts Department, Humanities, Dance, Art Exhibits, Public Lectures and Seminars, Choir, and the Arts in Your Life Series. Faculty included Roy Harris, Alfred Sendrey, Ernest Toch, Max Band, Stephen Kayser, Mario Castelnuevo-Tedesco, and Robert Strassburg (Registrar). In 1963, Max Helfman passed away, and was succeeded by Erwin Jospe. In 1972, School of Fine Arts became the Fine Arts Program (1973-) under the University's extension program and the Department of Continuing Education (DCE).
Box 

16, folder 2

1.  Foundational Materials approximately 1961

Scope and Content Note

Includes an Editorial article by Max Vorspan on the establishment of the School; a Booklet (Including an excerpt from Mordecai Kaplan's blueprint of a University of Judaism in which he gives a substantial place for a School of Fine Arts, a writing titled "Sword and Spirit" by Rabbi Jacob Pressman, and sheet music for "Al Hanisim" with Folk Melody by ARR. M. H from 1950); and a Preliminary draft Conspectus of courses, program, lecture series and other activities proposed for the School of Fine Arts (prepared by the Fine Arts Faculty Committee composed of Ted Post, Joseph Young, and Benjamin Zemach under the Chairmanship of Max Helfman).
Box 

16, folder 2

2.  Accreditation Materials 1963-04-15

Box 

16, folder 2

3.  Board of Governors of the School of Fine Arts 1961-06-21

Scope and Content Note

Includes a letter to Irving Weinrot from Max Vorspan, including the minutes for the first meeting of the Board.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Members of the Board included Michael Blankfort, David Dortort, Mr. and Mrs. Julius Fligelman, Dr. and Mrs. Simon Greenberg, Max Helfman, Jack Ostrow (Chairman), Herman Platt (Vice Chairman), Dr. Victor Goodhill (Vice Chairman), Mr. and Mrs. Ted Post, Saul Rubin, Maurice Hyman, Mr. and Mrs. Maurice (Rose) Turner (Vice Chairman), and Dr. and Mrs. Max Vorspan. The Board disbanded in 1963 when the University Women of the School of Fine Arts proved successful at raising money for the School.
Box 

16, folder 3-4

4.  Catalogs and Schedule of Courses 1962-1969

Course Schedule, 1966 (a_cajoul048)

Physical Location: Additional Location: For the Course Schedule of the Spring Semester of 1966, please Vol. 19, No. 2, University of Judaism Newsletter, 1966 (a_cajoul048).

Scope and Content Note

Includes Catalogs and Schedule of Courses for the School, including draft materials.
Box 

16, folder 5

5.  Registration Summaries 1970-1972

Box 

16, folder 6

6.  Academic Departments 1962-1964

Box 

16, folder 6

a.  Theatre Arts Department 1962-1967

Scope and Content Note

Includes a flyer for "Three Poetry Evenings", approximately 1971, featuring Black Poetry, Spanish and Latin-American Poetry, and Hebrew and Yiddish Poetry; a program for the Hebrew and Yiddish Poetry evening, approximately 1971; a flyer for the Yiddish Theatre Studio presenting "A Comedy in 3 Acts by Sholem Aleichem", 1967-02-23; and news clippings about the Folk Dance Center and more.
Box 

16, folder 6

b.  Creative Writing Department 1963-02

Scope and Content Note

Includes a suggested syllabus for a Creative Writing Department.
Box 

16, folder 6

c.  Visual Arts Department 1962-09-14

Scope and Content Note

Includes news clippings, such as "UJ to Offer Varied, Expert Visual Courses" with Joseph Young.
Box 

16, folder 7-12

7.  Non-Academic Programs 1962-1971

Box 

16, folder 7

a.  The Art of Benjamin Zemach Film 1971

Scope and Content Note

Includes drafts for a Descriptive Leaflet; Correspondence to/from Erwin Jospe, Miriam Rochlin; Hora Vol. 3; Introductory Notes for Documentary Films of Israel by Gurit Kadman and more.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: The Art of Benjamin Zemach Film takes four examples of Benjamin Zemach's work. They include the Chassid, the Beggar's Dance, Prologue to Benjamin the Third, and Bialik. Zemach was a modern dancer and the Director of the Dance and Drama Department of the University of Judaism since its inception. It was produced by Miriam Rochlin, and edited by Roger Andrieux and Rochlin. Musical director was Kenneth Klauss, sets by Moi Solotaroff, director of photography was Ray Steckler, and Lou Brandt as director.
Box 

16, folder 8

b.  Concerts 1963-1964

 

1.  Spring Song of our People 1963-06-21

Flyer (a_cajoul038)

Scope and Content Note

Includes flyer, program and news clipping.
 

2.  Israel Festival: L.A Zimria Chorale Farewell Concert 1964-06-22

Scope and Content Note

Includes program.
Box 

16, folder 9-10

c.  UJ Art Gallery 1964-1969

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Art Gallery and Museum (1947-1960), see Box 22.

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the UJ Art Gallery (1974-1983) see Box 15

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the Platt and Borstein Galleries (1985-) see Box 24

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: The UJ Art Gallery began as part of the Museum and under the Fine Arts Department and continued under the School of Fine Arts in 1961. Located at the Sunset Campus, it presented monthly exhibits of significant works by Jewish and non-Jewish artists.
 

1.  Art Exhibits and Shows 1964-1969

Scope and Content Note

Includes programs and news clippings from exhibits, and letter from Eric Ray. Artists include Shirley Bruck, Burton Freund, Alfredo Goldstein, Harry Lieberman, Molly Fligelman, Aaron J. Goodelman, Diane Travis and more.
 

2.  Molly Fligelman Art 1965

Box 

16, folder 11

d.  Arts in Your Life Series 1962-1965

Scope and Content Note

Includes a letter from Max Helfman and programs regarding the inauguration of the Series on 1962-02-14; Pamphlet for the 1962 year program; Invitation to Contemporary Music for the Synagogue event, with works by composers Yehudi Wyner, Marvin David Levy, Max Helfman, and Carl Urstein with Erwin Jospe as conductor, 1965-02-24; and news clippings.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Beginning in 1962, the Arts in Your Life series included different evenings of "provocative and illuminating experiences in the living arts for the art of living". Programs featured all the arts (music, theatre, and visual arts). The inaugurating event included Abraham Kaplan, Roger Wagner, Caltech Men's Glee club, and more. By 1965, it included a varied program of music, dance, dramatic presentations, lectures, and discussions by members of the faculty and students of the School of Fine Arts. Events were held at the University Theatre at 8:30 pm.
Box 

16, folder 12

e.  University of Judaism Sinfonietta 1962

Scope and Content Note

Includes news clippings.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Beginning in 1962, the Sinfonietta, or chamber orchestra, was directed by Robert Strassburg.
Box 

16, folder 12

f.  University of Judaism Chorale 1962-1963

Archival Materials and Photographs:

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the UJ Chorale Society (1973-) see the Fine Arts Program & the Center for the Arts (Box 15)

Physical Location: Related Materials: For materials on the AJU Choir(1994-) see Box 28.

Scope and Content Note

Includes news clippings.

Biography/Organization History

Historical Note: Beginning in 1962, the Chorale, with over 100 members, was directed by Max Helfman and assisted by Robert Strassburg.
Box 

16, folder 13-18

8.  Communications 1961-1972

Box 

16, folder 13

a.  Press Releases and News Bulletins 1962-1966

Box 

16, folder 14

b.  Newspaper Articles and Clippings 1962-1972

Scope and Content Note

Examples include Launch Fine Arts School at UJ, 1961-12-1; Series of Plays Planned at University of Judaism, 1963-10-04; Dr. Kaplan Hails Fine Arts School of UJ, 1962-11-16; United Synagogue of America, Greet the Establishment of the School of Fine Arts, 1962-09-21; UJ Fine Arts School is Dedicated to a Creative Renaissance, 1963-04-05.
Box 

16, folder 14

c.  Publicity Notes

Box 

16, folder 15-18

9.  Faculty 1961-1972

Box 

16, folder 15

a.  Faculty News Clippings

Scope and Content Note

Includes articles on Isaac Van Grove, Roy Harris, Moi Solotaroff, Ted Post, Eric Ray, Stephen S. Kayser and more.
Box 

16, folder 16

b.  Erwin Jospe 1971

Box 

16, folder 17

c.  Max Helfman

Box 

16, folder 18

d.  Joseph Young