The National Maritime Museum Association records, 1954-1993, (SAFR 09756, HDC 1026) is arranged into three series: Balclutha,
Logbooks and Miscellaneous documents. Items include the Bill of Sale for BALCLUTHA; "Ship's," "Watchmen's" and "Smooth" logs,
written by the Museum's crew of the BALCLUTHA, describing routine maintenance, weather, etc. (1955--1977); and brochures,
booklets, leaflets, invitations, programs regarding maritime history, San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park, and the
ships ALMA, THAYER, EPPLETON HALL, BALCLUTHA and S.S.PAMPANITO (1971--1993). The collection is available for research use
The San Francisco Maritime Museum Association (SFMMA) was incorporated in January 1950, opening to the public in the Casino
Building at Aquatic Park on May 27, 1951. The SFMMA purchased the ship BALCLUTHA in 1954; it was restored and open to the
public in 1955. In 1957 the California State Park Commission created San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park, which eventually
included the ships THAYER, ALMA, WAPAMA, HERCULES and EUREKA, as well as the Hyde Street Pier and Haslett Warehouse. In 1977
the San Francisco Maritime State Historic Park became part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA), and in 1978
the holdings of the San Francisco Maritime Museum Association were transferred to the National Park Service, as part of the
GGNRA. The Association then changed its name to the National Maritime Museum Association (NMMA). In 1988, a separate park
was created as the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, with the National Maritime Museum Association as its cooperative
In 2001, the Association changed its name to San Francisco Maritime National Park Association.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other
case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.