The Ralph Waycott collection of papers regarding the Appleton/Waycott house spans 3.5 linear feet and dates from 1950 to 2007.
The collection is composed of papers, including correspondence, reports and legal documents, photographs, drawings (some copies
from the Cliff May papers at the Architecture and Design Collection), maps, and reports, gathered by Ralph Waycott III, regarding
the history of the Appleton/Waycott house and the 1925 Robert Gillis adobe hunting lodge that was part of the original fabric
of the house. Cliff May expanded the original Gillis lodge for Francis Appleton in 1946-1948, making a 5-bedroom house. The
Waycott family purchased the house in the 1950s.
The Appleton/Waycott house is the product of three architects. The original adobe structure was built in 1925 for the Gillis
family and included a living room, small dining room, kitchen, guest bathroom, bedroom, and bathroom. Between 1925 and 1941
an addition was made to the property, which was a separate structure of Spanish Colonial Revival design. After WWII, the Gillis
family sold the house to the Appleton family. The Appleton family hired architect Cliff May to integrate the two structures
on the property, in order to create a much larger home, which was built in the late 1940s. The Waycott family purchased the
house from the Appletons.
3.5 Linear feet
(1 box and 2 rolls)
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.