The Pellerano Family Papers, 1879-1945 (bulk 1879-1894) document the business and professional lives of the Pellerano family.
The records consist of business ledgers that belonged to Clorinda, Pedrina, and Nicholas Pellerano as well as school essays
written by Nicholas Pellerano during his time at Santa Clara College, from 1888-1891. Also included are photographs, correspondence,
and other ephemera associated with the Pellerano, Boitano, and Wempe families. This collection is arranged into two series:
Series I. Business Ledgers and Essays, 1879-1894; and Series II. Photographs, Letters and Miscellanea, 1879-1945 (bulk 1879-1894).
The Pellerano Family was originally from Italy and immigrated to the United States sometime in the last half of the nineteenth
century. Nicholas Pellerano was a licensed pharmacist-turned-banker who attended Santa Clara College from 1888-1891 and Heald's
Business College of San Francisco in 1891. Nicholas was at one point the vice-president of the Bank of America in San Jose
and when he died, he was on the advisory board of the San Jose office of Bank of America. His sister Pedrina appears to have
run Pellerano's Pharmacy alongside him, as her name was listed along with his in directories for the business. Nicholas Pellerano married Marie Wempe
during a trip to Europe. His sister Clorinda Pellerano married Angelo Boitano and his other sister, Mary Pellerano, married
Gerhardt Wempe in 1903. This collection includes material from the Boitano and Wempe families. Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California's oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name.
3.86 linear feet
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
Collection is open for research.