The Young Women's Christian Association of the Mid-Peninsula Records contains materials related to its history, administration,
public policy advocacy, programming for women and children, and incorporation of the Stanford YWCA in 1982.
The Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) began in England in 1855, and the first U.S. offices opened in New York (1858)
and Boston (1859). It worked to serve the spiritual and material needs of young women living on their own in cities, providing
safe residences, job training, daycare, exercise, and recreational programs, as well as developing leadership skills and encouraging
civic participation. Today there are close to 300 branches in the United States and chapters in more than 122 countries.
46.5 Linear Feet
88 manuscript boxes, 6 flat boxes, 1 map folder; including posters, framed certificates, books, etc.; 6 cassette tapes, 3
reels of magnetic audiotape; 1 reel of super 8 film, 3 VHS tapes
While Special Collections is the owner of the physical items, permission to examine collection materials is not an authorization
to publish. These materials are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. Any transmission or reproduction
beyond that allowed by fair use requires permission from the owners of rights, heir(s) or assigns.
Open for research. Note that material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use. Audiovisual & born-digital
materials are not available in original format, and must be reformatted to a digital use copy.