The Photographic Laboratory Collection consists of original negatives, prints, and films documenting the history of Scripps
Institution of Oceanography and UC San Diego, including the development of the campus, research, portraits, and expeditions.
The Photographic Laboratory (aka Photo Lab) was established in 1949 on the campus of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography
(SIO) to provide photographic services to the academic community. The first Photo Lab photographer, John MacFall, was hired
that year. Photography of an event, building or person could be requested by academic, administrative, or research units;
the office that placed an order was then billed.
39 Linear feet
(39 archive boxes, 72 card file boxes, 5 cartons, and 1 cassette box)
Publication rights are held by the UC Regents.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. ALLOW ONE WEEK FOR RETRIEVAL OF MATERIALS.