The Shafer family owned and operated the Cloverleaf Ranch in the Santa Monica Mountains from 1946 to 1964, raising cattle
and stocking man-made lakes with trout for public fishing. The Shafer land is now part of Malibu Creek State Park. The digital
collection contains photographs of the Shafers' ranch, home, and Trout Lakes, as well as two articles about the Shafers' cattle
and Trout Lakes, respectively. Materials date from 1948-1961.
The Shafer family owned and lived on Cloverleaf Ranch in the Santa Monica Mountains from 1946 to 1964. The property now forms part of Malibu Creek State Park. Edgar Shafer and his wife, Mary Jane, purchased their 60-acre ranch to run horses and cattle, including the first registered herd of Brangus
beef cattle in California. The Shafers leased additional land from their neighbor and friend, Ronald Reagan. When the price of beef fell in the early 1950s, the family found an ingenious new use for their land. Ed, Mary Jane, and
their sons Mike, Dave, and Steve all worked to dredge up two large lakes on the ranch, close to the intersection of Mulholland
Highway and Las Virgenes Road. The Shafers purchased trout and other fish from local fisheries to fill their new lakes, and
opened them to the public. The Trout Lakes proved immediately popular among Angelenos looking for an escape from the city,
as well as with commuters passing through the canyon on their way to the beach. The Shafers lived in the historic Sepulveda
Adobe house for ten years before building a new home on their property in the late 1950s. In 1964, the family sold their ranch
to Fox Realty Corp.
Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
This is a digital collection of photographs.The original photographs are still held by the donors. Access copies of digital
images are available as JPG files. Please contact Pepperdine Special Collections for access.