This collection contains the administrative records of the Mill Valley Branch of the American Association of University Women
(AAUW). There are also eight scrapbooks with clippings, event programs, photographs and ephemera.
The American Association of University Women was founded in 1881, as the Association of Collegiate Alumnae, to broaden opportunities
for college-educated women. The name American Association of University Women (AAUW) was adopted in 1921. The AAUW’s stated
mission is “to advance gender equity for women and girls through research, education and advocacy.”
The Marin Branch of the AAUW was formed in 1934. From 1948-1949, there was a separate Southern Section of the Marin Branch,
and in 1949 the Mill Valley Branch was created, with 63 members and Janet Breed Gavin as its first president. In 1973 the
name was changed to Mill Valley Area Branch, and in 1977 it was again renamed, as the Southern Marin Branch. In 2005 the Southern
Marin and Marin branches consolidated their membership into one entity, the Marin Branch.