KAIULANI plans, design history and specifications collection consists of plans, blueprints, diazotypes, specifications and
reports related to the KAIULANI, the last American-built square rigger. Naval Architect Charles Wittholz consulted with Alan
Hutchinson on the restoration of the KAIULANI in the 1960s for the National Maritime Historical Society (NMHS). He donated
these materials to the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park specifically to help with the construction of a half-size
model of KAIULANI. The collection is available for use.
According to "The Dictionary of Nautical Literacy," the KAIULANI was built in 1899 in Bath, Maine for service between San
Francisco and Hawaii. The 250-foot, three-mast bark was the last American-built square rigger. The KAIULANI was also the last
American square rigger in regular commercial service. The ship left San Francisco in September 1941 on its final voyage. The
KAIULANI picked up lumber in Aberdeen, Washington and sailed around Cape Horn to Durban, South Africa and then onto Sydney,
Australia. Once in Sydney, KAIULANI was converted into a barge to support U.S. forces in the Pacific. In 1963, a group of
maritime enthusiasts formed the National Maritime Historical Society with the goal of restoring the KAIULANI and returning
it from the Philippines to the United States. In October 1964, Philippine President Diosdado Macapagal donated KAIULANI to
the U.S. Efforts to raise funds to restore the ship failed, and it was broken up in 1974.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other
case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.