Artificial collection of records and ephemera from the Fiesta de las Rosas (earlier known as the Rose Carnival or Carnival
of Roses) held in San Jose in 1896, 1901, 1910, 1926-1933, and 1969.
The first Santa Clara County Carnival of Roses was held in May 1896, followed by a celebration in 1901 to coincide with a
visit by President McKinley, and again in 1910 to include an airshow and horse parade. Each included a rose parade, with competing
floats from organizations throughout Santa Clara County, and a festival queen. After a hiatus, the festival returned from
1926-1933 as the Fiesta de las Rosas, emphasizing San Jose's Spanish heritage. The 1927 Fiesta included an historic exhibition
of artifacts donated by local families. The Fiesta was revived yet again in 1969 to include a rodeo, but was unsuccessful
in relaunching an annual tradition.
2.5 linear feet (5 boxes)
Contact the Research Library & Archives for information on publication and reproduction.
Open to the public for research by appointment.