This collection contains meeting minutes, correspondence, and other records of the Olivenhain Colony, a utopian farming community
located in Encinitas, California in 1880s-1890s.
The utopian colony of Olivenhain was officially formed May 21, 1884. The first seven members were Theodore Pinther, Joseph
Ullrich, Louis Denk, Otto Pinther, Lina Pinther, Johann Bumann, and Paul Glave. Each member paid an initiation fee, a membership
fee, and monthly dues, and was entitled to a five-acre parcel of cultivated land, a moderately sized house built on their
property, and the use of all colony-owned property such as horse teams, wagons, and fruit processing machinery. New members
could be any nationality, but were required to speak fluent German.