The David Adler papers span 7 linear feet and date from circa 1911 to 1940. The collection contains black-and-white photographs
and color kodachrome prints, a newspaper clipping, a stereoscope, and stereographic cards. The photographs and clipping are
of the David B. Jones house on Pepper Hill in Montecito, California. The stereographic cards are unidentified images of nature.
David Adler was born on January 3, 1882 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He attended Princeton University and graduated in 1904. Following
Princeton, from 1904 to 1906, Adler attended the Ecole des Beaux- Arts working in the Atelier of Umbdenstock and Deglane.
He worked as a draftsman at Howard Van Doren Shaw, Architects in Chicago, Illinois. Adler then went into a partnership with
Henry C. Dangler to form Adler and Dangler, Architects. In 1917, Henry C. Dandler died, and Adler when into partnership with
Robert Work to form Adler and Work, Architects, which lasted from 1917 to 1929. Adler primarily worked in Chicago where the
majority of his work consisted of large-scale estates for the social elite. Adler received some commissions in California,
however, often collaborating with his sister, interior designer, Frances Elkins. David Adler died in 1949.