•Incorporated November 11, 1903; 30.57 miles between Chico and Stirling City, California. On November 27, 1903, this company
purchased the property of the Butte County Railroad.
•The Butte County Railroad was incorporated on March 2, 1903, in the interests of the Diamond Match Company and started construction
near Chico in April of 1903. On November 27, 1903, it was sold to the Chico & Northern (a corporation formed by the Southern
Pacific Company) which immediately leased the property back to the Butte County Railroad which operated from June 1, 1904,
when construction was completed to Stirling City. Title to the Chico & Northern property was conveyed to the Central Pacific
Railway on February 29, 1912, but the road continued to be operated by the Butte County until November 30, 1915, when possession
finally was given to the Central Pacific Railway. The four locomotives used were lettered "Butte County," three of which
went into the SP roster in 1916. The Chico & Northern was dissolved on November 30, 1912. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN
PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 368]
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote
from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf
of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained by the reader.