Club was founded on Feb. 10, 1932 by A.J. Furrer. The membership consisted of 32 prominent Contra Costa Republican business
and civic leaders who were veterans of World War 1. A few years later they bought a bottle of champagne which became a symbol
of unity and a prize to be passed along to the last man. They met every year on Veteran’s Day, a total of 51 times, and the
last meeting was in 1988. A.J. Furrer was the last man and died in 1989, at the age of 96.