The Save the Redwoods League records document the organization's work to preserve redwood trees, and its role in the development
and protection of state and national parks in California. The bulk of the collection covers the tenures of League executive
directors Newton B. Drury (1919-1940 and 1959-1978), Aubrey Drury (1920-1959), and John B. Dewitt (1965-1996). This includes
the early years of the organization and its four key projects, preservation of: I. Humboldt Redwood State Park, including
Bull Creek-Dyerville and Avenue of the Giants; II. Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park; III. Del Norte Coast Redwoods State
Park; and IV. Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, including Mill Creek.
Save the Redwoods League protects redwood forests from destruction; works with the California State Parks and the National
Park Service to establish redwood parks and reserves; purchases redwood groves by private subscription; fosters better understanding
of the value of these trees to current and future generations; and supports conservation and restoration of forest areas.
In 1917, Stephen Tyng Mather, the first director of the National Park Service, inspired conservationists John Campbell Merriam,
Madison Grant and Henry Fairfield Osborn to investigate the state of redwood forests in Northern California. The new Redwood
Highway had opened the area to more logging, which threatened the ancient trees. The trio visited established logging operations
on the Mendocino County Coast, and still undisturbed forests along the Eel River. Continuing north, they reached Humboldt
County and the Bull Creek-Dyerville Flat area, where gigantic redwoods soared more than 300 feet. Awed by the trees' beauty
and serenity, and troubled by the devastation that logging had wrought along the Redwood Highway, Merriam, Grant, and Osborn
agreed that a national or state park was necessary to save part of the redwood forest. This motivated the founders, with the
support of others, to establish Save the Redwoods League in 1918. The League soon received its first donations to purchase
redwood lands, and in 1919, hired its first Executive Director, Newton Bishop Drury.
184.2 linear feet
(141 cartons, 3 boxes, 2 oversize boxes, 1 nitrate negative box, 2 oversize volumes, 13 oversize folders)
Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Collection is open for research with the following exception: Nitrate Negatives are CLOSED TO RESEARCH DUE TO HAZARDOUS MATERIALS