Thomas V. Johnson was born in England circa 1822. He arrived in Santa Cruz, California with his son Charles W. and daughter
Evalena in the late 1860s. He was the tavern keeper at the San Lorenzo Saloon on Pacific Avenue, later the Grand Central Saloon.
As the 9th owner of the Carmelita Cottages property on Beach Hill, he was the first to built structures on the site. He married
Mary Anne Hutchinson from Monasterevin, Ireland on May 6, 1873 in Santa Cruz. He retired circa 1896, died January 2, 1903,
and is buried at the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Santa Cruz, CA.
Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and
their heirs. For permission to publish or to reproduce the material, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.