Theodore Hall Photographs of Bunker Hill, Los Angeles and Environs: Finding Aid photCL 384

Suzanne Oatey
The Huntington Library
February 2022
1151 Oxford Road
San Marino, California 91108
Business Number: (626) 405-2191
reference@huntington.org


Contributing Institution: The Huntington Library Photo Archives
Title: Theodore Hall photographs of Bunker Hill, Los Angeles and environs
Creator: Hall, Theodore
Identifier/Call Number: photCL 384
Physical Description: 31 Linear Feet (34 boxes, 10 volumes)
Date (inclusive): approximately 1939-1962
Abstract: A collection of photographs chiefly documenting the Bunker Hill neighborhood of downtown Los Angeles before and during redevelopment in the mid-twentieth century. Also includes images of residents and adjacent districts of Los Angeles.
Language of Material: Materials are in English.

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use by qualified researchers and by appointment. Please contact Reader Services at the Huntington Library for more information.

Conditions Governing Use

The Huntington Library does not require that researchers request permission to quote from or publish images of this material, nor does it charge fees for such activities. The responsibility for identifying the copyright holder, if there is one, and obtaining necessary permissions rests with the researcher.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item]. Theodore Hall photographs of Bunker Hill, Los Angeles and environs, The Huntington Library, San Marino, California.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Irving Haines, November 1993.

Biographical / Historical

Theodore Seymour Hall (1880-1963) was born in Honolulu, Hawaii to William Wisner Hall and Elizabeth Archer Van Cleve Hall. He attended Berkeley High School, in Berkeley, California, and Harvard University. In 1909, he married Ruth Houghton, and they had two children: Houghton Seymour Hall (born 1910) and Winslow William Hall (born 1912). Hall worked in various managerial positions, and in 1920 was manager of the Standard Chemical Company in Alameda, and lived in Oakland, California. In 1925, Hall had settled in New York, working in industrial banking. He and Ruth divorced in 1929, and the same year, Hall married Edna Kofal Davison; they lived in Long Island while Hall worked as a bond salesman and sales executive. By 1938, the 58-year-old Hall was again divorced and living on Bunker Hill in Los Angeles, as a roomer at the Sherwood Apartments on South Grand Avenue. He took up photography and was befriended and mentored by Irving Haines, a local commercial photographer, and Haines' wife, Martha. Hall joined outings of Haines Camera Club, which met downtown on Olive Street. In 1952, Hall was living in the Cumberland Hotel on South Olive Street (Bunker Hill), which he later vacated because the building was scheduled to be torn down. In 1960 he was living at the Engstrum Apartments on West Fifth Street. Hall died in 1963, in Los Angeles, at age 83.

Biographical / Historical

The Bunker Hill neighborhood of Los Angeles was an enclave of wealthy residents and grand mansions at the turn of the century. By the 1920s to 1940s, it had transformed into a mixed-use urban residential area with a more transient population, and went into decline. The Community Redevelopment Agency of the City of Los Angeles proposed the Bunker Hill Urban Renewal Project, which was officially adopted by the Los Angeles City Council in 1959. The CRA acquired Bunker Hill properties, relocated residents and businesses, and began demolishing buildings and clearing land, changing the landscape dramatically.

Scope and Contents

This collection contains approximately 9,000 negatives (2 ¼ x 2 ¼ inches), 7 binders of contact prints of a large portion of the negatives, and 3 photobooks (11 x 14 inches). The photographs were taken by Theodore Hall, an avid amateur photographer and resident of Bunker Hill, Los Angeles from 1938 to 1963. Photographs depict the historic structures and streets of the neighborhood before and during the urban renewal of the 1950s, when buildings were razed and much of the hill was lopped off and graded. Hall photographed houses, storefronts, signs, architectural details, cars, and often the residents: shopkeepers, newsstand vendors, local children, and people on their front porches. A diverse population including African American, Asian American, Latin American, and white residents are pictured in everyday activities in the neighborhood. Grand Central Market, the downtown food and grocery emporium, is featured extensively in detailed images of vendors, customers, neon signs, and food stalls. Also seen on Bunker Hill are hotels and apartment buildings, the Angels Flight funicular railway, Victorian mansions turned into rooming houses, liquor stores, and construction crews grading land and pouring cement. Many historic buildings are seen in disrepair, and some are pictured in the midst of being torn down.
Other Los Angeles sites depicted are: Union Station, City Hall, Olvera Street and the Plaza, churches, freeways, and automotive tunnels. The contact print binders also contain Hall's photographs of friends, social gatherings, camera club members, practice portrait sessions, annual visits to family in the San Francisco Bay Area, and a few day trips in Southern California.
Some of the Los Angeles architects whose buildings are represented are: John C. W. Austin, Austin and Brown, Welton Becket, Dodd and Richards, Frederick R. Dorn, Edelman & Barnett, Theodore A. Eisen, Charles O. Ellis, Arthur L. Haley, Marsh and Russell, T. J. McCarthy, William H. Mohr, Joseph C. Newsom, John Parkinson, John Cotter Pelton Jr., James M. Shields, Lewis A. Smith, Train and Williams, George Herbert Wyman, and Robert Brown Young.

Processing Information

Processed by Huntington Library staff, circa 1996. In 2022, Suzanne Oatey created a finding aid. The three photobooks contain captions by Hall, which have been transcribed in the container list. Supplemental information in the Scope and Contents notes has been provided by Nathan Marsak, author of "Bunker Hill Los Angeles: Essence of Sunshine and Noir" (Angel City Press, 2020).

Arrangement

Organized in three series:
Series 1. Photobooks, 1939-1962
Series 2. Contact prints (photographs), approximately 1951-1961
Series 3. Negatives, approximately 1939-1962

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Photographic negatives (Boxes 2-34) housed in cold storage; extended retrieval and delivery time required.

Subjects and Indexing Terms

Negatives (photographs)
Photobooks
Photographs
Photographs -- California -- Los Angeles -- 20th century
African Americans -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Apartment houses -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Architecture, Domestic -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Architecture -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Asian Americans -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Boardinghouses
Bunker Hill (Los Angeles, Calif.) -- Photographs
City Planning -- California -- Los Angeles
Hispanic Americans -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Hotels -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Photographs
Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Photographs
Low-income housing
Mansions -- California -- Photographs
Olvera Street (Los Angeles, Calif.) -- Photographs
Urban renewal -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Wrecking -- California -- Los Angeles -- Photographs
Grand Central Market (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Angels Flight (Railway) -- Photographs
Austin, John C. W. (John Corneby Wilson), 1870-1963
Becket, Welton
Train and Williams (Firm)

 

Photobooks Series 1 1939-1962

Physical Description: 1.17 Linear Feet (3 volumes in 1 box)

Scope and Contents

A series of three photobooks titled "Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, California: The Passing of an Era," Books 1-3, by Theodore Seymour Hall, A.P.S.A. (Associate, Photographic Society of America). Each album contains 61 black-and-white photographs, 11 x 14 inches, and an index of captions.

Processing Information

Image titles and negative numbers were transcribed from Hall's indexes; corresponding negatives may be found in Series 3, though some negatives are missing. Additional information in the Scope and Content notes is from Nathan Marsak, author of "Bunker Hill Los Angeles: Essence of Sunshine and Noir" (Angel City Press, 2020).
 

Book 1 - Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, California: The Passing of an Era 1939-1962

Scope and Contents

Begins with foreword written by Hall, August 1962, explaining his interest in photographing Bunker Hill.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 1

Front cover

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 2

Foreword

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 3

Part of area from City Hall tower in 1940 with cheap camera Neg. 2349

Scope and Contents

Looking west on Court Street across the top of the Hall of Records building. Top of Court Flight.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 4

From same location in 1960 Neg. 13194

Scope and Contents

The Los Angeles County Courthouse at left, recently completed; opened January 5, 1959. The Los Angeles County Hall of Administration, right, is nearing completion.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 5

Old residence, N/W cor. 4th & Hope Street Neg. 4750

Scope and Contents

The Edward T. Hildreth residence (architect: Joseph Cather Newsom, 1889). It spent most of its existence as a boarding house, but was restored in the early 1950s by the Haufe family. It was taken by eminent domain for a highway project, the Fourth Street Cut, and demolished in 1954.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 6

Same, side view showing decorated outside chimney Neg. 5955

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 7

Melrose Hotel, 120 S. Grand Avenue, 1957 Neg. 10157

Scope and Contents

Architect: T. J. McCarthy, 1902. Demolished in 1957.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 8

Same, from another angle Neg. 4610

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 9

Melrose entrance, shortly before wrecking in 1957 Neg. 9897

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 10

Melrose Annex, 130 S. Grand Avenue, 1939 Neg. 14093

Scope and Contents

This was the original Melrose, which became known as the Annex. Designed by Joseph Cather Newsom for Marc W. Connor and built in 1889. The top of the cupola was removed after the parapet ordinance of 1949.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 11

Some detail of same, 1957 Neg. 10348

Scope and Contents

Note the removal of the top of the cupola, and the initials "MWC" for Marc W. Connor carved above the door.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 12

More detail Neg. 10327

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 13

Entrance detail Neg. 10138

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 14

Door detail Neg. 10156

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 15

Rear of Melrose and 130 S. Grand Avenue from Olive Street Neg. 10088

Scope and Contents

From left to right, the rear of the Richelieu, 142 South Grand; the Melrose Annex at 130 South Grand, and the Melrose at 120 South Grand, shot from Olive Street looking west.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 16

Rear detail of 130 S. Grand Avenue Neg. 10088

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 17

142 S. Grand Avenue, 1957 Neg. 9992

Scope and Contents

Robert Larkins built this house in 1888 at 142 South Grand as his residence and to house boarders. It was demolished in 1957. Its architects are unknown but may be Bradbeer and Ferris.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 18

Entrance detail of same Neg. 10122

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 19

142 S. Grand Avenue, being wrecked, 1957 Neg. 10210

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 20

Detail, front wall plaque on 142 S. Grand Avenue Neg. 10236

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 21

Angels Flight on S. Hill Street, 1940 with cheap camera Neg. 2284

Scope and Contents

Looking west from Third and Hill.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 22

Close up of Angels Flight car, Hill Street Neg. 10977

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 23

Showing grade angle of Angels Flight car Neg. 10380

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 24

Inside Angels Flight car, en route Neg. 10989

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 25

Angels Flight car crossing Clay Street Neg. 9391

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 26

Commemorative plaque Neg. 10024

Scope and Contents

Presented by Native Daughters of the Golden West, November 1952. Contact prints Volume 5 contains several images of this event.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 27

Olive Street end of Angels Flight, and control house Neg. 8200

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 28

(Angels Flight details) Neg. 14090

Scope and Contents

Four small photographs of Angels Flight on one page. The other negative numbers are: 14060, 13967, 13939.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 29

West end of 2nd Street tunnel (i.e. Third Street tunnel) Neg. 6231

Scope and Contents

Hall made a mistake here; this is the west end of the Third Street tunnel. The white structure above with two bay windows is 632 West Third. Below is the Crown Hotel at 702 West Third, the Havlin Hotel at 706 (with "Café Bobs"), and the moving/storage company was at 710 West Third. At left, Cinnabar Street runs from Third, between Hope and Flower, north to Second Street.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 30

Steps from 2nd Street (i.e. Third St.) to Hope Street at west end of tunnel Neg. 14084

Scope and Contents

Actually, steps from Third Street, at Hope, running from "Lower Hope" to "Upper Hope" next to the Crown Hotel at 702 West Third.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 31

South on Grand Avenue from 3rd Street Neg. 12634

Scope and Contents

At right, the southwest corner of Third and Grand: 301, 305, and 311 South Grand. The Alta Cresta, Kenneth, and Capitol hotels are at 319, 325, and 333. The Fourth and Grand Service Garage is seen near the end of the block. The image dates from 1959; the construction on Grand is the erection of the 13-story addition (architect: Welton Becket) to the Standard Federal Bank at Wilshire.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 32

South on Grand Avenue from 2nd Street, 1959 Neg. 12920

Scope and Contents

The Dome Hotel (201 S. Grand, 1902) at right. Left, the Frontenac (212 S. Grand, 1905).
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 33

Detail of building (the DOME), S/W corner of 2nd, and Grand Avenue, 1957 Neg. 10232

Scope and Contents

The Moorish/Mission-style Minnewaska, renamed "the Dome," 201 South Grand, built by James Shields and daughter Maud, in 1902. Burned in 1964, it was demolished soon after.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 34

Building on N/W cor. of Grand Avenue and West 3rd Street Neg. 11852

Scope and Contents

Originally named the Nugent when built by Arthur Nugent McBurney in August 1903, it was renamed the New Grand in 1940.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 35

North side of 3rd Street from Grand to Olive Neg. 14114

Scope and Contents

The Lovejoy Apartments at 529 West Third (architect: Charles O. Ellis, 1903).
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 36

West 3rd Street from Grand to Olive, night view Neg. 9997

Scope and Contents

The southeast corner of Third and Grand. Angels Flight Drugs (architect: Frederick R. Dorn, 1910). The upper terminus of Angels Flight is at the end of the block down Third. The domed structure above Angels Flight is the Million Dollar Theater at Third and Broadway.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 37

South side of 3rd Street, Grand to Olive, the Hill's Business Center, 1957 Neg. 10313

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 38

Street scene on West 3rd Street Neg. 10165

Scope and Contents

The Budget Basket at 528 West Third St, attached to the west side of Angels Flight Pharmacy.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 39

"RED," well known newspaper vendor on West 3rd near Grand Neg. 11577

Scope and Contents

Red, the one-armed newspaper vendor and two men outside 530 West Third St.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 40

In "Budget Basket" grocery on West 3rd, near Grand Neg. 14140

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 41

Manhattan Café on West 3rd Street Neg. 12960

Scope and Contents

Located at 520 West 3rd, in an apartment house.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 42

Angels Flight Café and apartment houses on Olive Street near 3rd Neg. 12693

Scope and Contents

The Café was given a streamline remodel in 1936. Behind the Café, the La Loma at 251 S. Olive (architect: Lewis A. Smith, 1923) and the Cumberland (architect: Marsh & Russell, 1904).
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 43

Astoria Apartments on Olive near West 3rd Neg. 10229

Scope and Contents

The Astoria at 248 S. Olive (architect: Arthur L. Haley, 1904). Its neighbor, the Hill Crest, 258 S. Olive, was built in 1905 by Col. Eddy of Angels Flight fame, and designed by Henry Cogswell. It was demolished in September 1961.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 44

Detail at West 3rd and Olive streets — 1962 Neg. 14089

Scope and Contents

The Angels Flight Café opened in 1933. The neon sign likely dates to the 1936 remodel. In the distance can be seen the recently-constructed Court House. The Victorian structure to the left of the man is 238/236 South Olive.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 45

Inside Cumberland Hotel Apartments, 243 S. Olive, 1952 Neg. 5654

Scope and Contents

Hall was living here in 1952 per voting registration records. The man pictured here is the manager, Benjamin Abowitz, born in Kovno in 1891. His wife Fannie née Shulman can be seen in the contact prints, Volume 1.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 46

Inside Cumberland Hotel Apartments — now completely wrecked, 1962 Neg. 10172

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 47

Detail at 224 S. Olive — 1959 Neg. 12649

Scope and Contents

Built about 1894, also known as "The French Flats."
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 48

Hill Crest Hotel, 258 S. Olive Street, 1957 Neg. 10025

Scope and Contents

At the top of the stairs adjacent to Angels Flight.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 49

Detail on S. side of Hill Crest Hotel Neg. 11893

Scope and Contents

Spelled "Hillcrest" in previous photographs; this sign reads "Hill-Crest."
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 50

Display on porch next to Hill Crest Hotel Neg. 11568

Scope and Contents

The Sunshine Apartments, built around 1904, at 413-423 West Third Street.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 51

Entrance to 2nd Street tunnel at Hill Street — night shot Neg. 11036

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 52

Detail in 2nd Street tunnel—night shot Neg. 11043

Scope and Contents

The tunnel, lined with white glazed tile, started being built in 1916 and opened in 1924.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 53

Detail of porch 239 S. Bunker Hill Avenue, showing "basket weave" railing Neg. 14033

Scope and Contents

The George H. Stewart House (Attributed to architect George F. Costerisan, 1887).
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 54

Detail of old house at 315 S. Bunker Hill Avenue, 1957 Neg.

Scope and Contents

Built by William and Anna Foss in the mid to late 1880s. Noted mystic Max Heindel became a lodger at the Foss house and marries Augusta Foss in 1910, and thereafter 315 becomes commonly known as the Foss-Heindel house.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 55

Group of children near partially wrecked house, S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 10016

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 56

Through gate of old L.A. Police Station on West 1st Street, 1940 Neg. 2155

Scope and Contents

The demolition seen through the gate shows the removal of the Tajo Building (architect: George Herbert Wyman, 1896).
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 57

At corner of 1st and Olive streets, 1953 Neg. 6933

Scope and Contents

At right, the Hotel Gladden at 100 South Olive. Built as the Hotel Cecil in 1903 by Bernard Holmes.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 58

From Apartment building on S. Olive Avenue showing, at right, original Hill on 1st Street Neg. 7903

Scope and Contents

Looking down Olive to the intersection at Second, shot from the Cumberland Hotel. At corner, the backside of the Claridge Hotel. The Mansard roof structure at Second and Olive is the Hotel Argyle (architect: Robert Brown Young, 1887). See also Photobook Volume 3, pages 38 and 39.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 59

From the hill (as above note) at 1st, Olive and Hill streets, 1950 Neg. 4475

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 60

From same hill — night, 1953 Neg. 5953

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 61

General view of Bunker Hill area from a 5th Street bldg. at Grand, 1959 Neg. 12764

Scope and Contents

Shot from the Edison Building. The three prominent buildings, center, are the Casa Alta, 317 S. Olive, the Ems, 321 S. Olive, and La Casa de Don Leõn, 314 S. Olive.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 62

General view from same location at same date as above Neg. 12763

Scope and Contents

Grand runs north at right; Bunker Hill Avenue runs north up center.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 63

General view looking south and west from City Hall Tower, 1959 Neg. 12828

Scope and Contents

The Dome, center, at Second and Grand. Much of the Hill still extant south of Second Street but parking and empty lots to the north. The newly-completed County Court House at First and Hill at right.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 64

From same location looking a little more south, same date Neg. 12829

Scope and Contents

Construction of the State Building underway at First and Broadway. Above it stands the Hotel Northern (1910), on Clay Street at Second.
Box 1, Volume 1, Page 65

INDEX

Box 1, Volume 1, Page 66

Map of Bunker Hill Redevelopment Area Neg. 14094

 

Book 2 - Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, California: The Passing of an Era 1941-1962

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 1

Index

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 2

Composition and Rhetoric Neg. 10225

Scope and Contents

Sign on door signed by Laura Gatta, the owner of 208 South Olive, a Victorian house turned into an apartment hotel, one story in front, three stories running down to Clay Street in the back. Demolished around 1959.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 3

Corner of 3rd Place and Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 14078

Scope and Contents

343 S. Bunker Hill Avenue. 3rd Place was built to run north from Bunker Hill Avenue to Hope after the construction of the Fourth Street Cut.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 4

E/S Bunker Hill Avenue between 2nd & 3rd streets Neg. 10123

Scope and Contents

232 S. Bunker Hill Avenue. This home was built by Los Angeles pioneer Joseph F. Bont, carpenter and furniture dealer, who is listed at this address as early as 1883.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 5

325 Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 13385

Scope and Contents

"The Castle," built in 1887 by developer Reuben M. Baker.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 6

E/S Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 10126

Scope and Contents

Rose, the cat lady, tends to one of the Hill's many felines at 246 South Bunker Hill Avenue. This house and no. 244 were purchased by the CRA in May 1961, as part of the urban renewal plan.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 7

310 S. Bunker Hill Avenue, 1957 Neg. 12620

Scope and Contents

Built between 1894 and 1906.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 8

Residents of Bunker Hill Avenue, 1957 Neg. 10300

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 9

231-233 S. Grand Avenue Neg. 10092

Scope and Contents

This two-story duplex was one of the earlier structures on the Hill, built in the mid-1880s.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 10

Part of old door Neg. 10048

Scope and Contents

Close-up of 233 South Grand, demolished in 1962.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 11

256 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 13406

Scope and Contents

The Arthur Nugent McBurney home, 1887.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 12

S. Bunker Hill Avenue between 2nd & 3rd streets, 1951 Neg. 4740

Scope and Contents

Attorney and judge George M. Holton built the residence at 227 South Bunker Hill Avenue in 1882.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 13

A resident of Bunker Hill area Neg. 5996

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 14

S. Bunker Hill Avenue between 1st and 2nd streets Neg. 9883

Scope and Contents

This is likely looking toward the rear of 115 South Grand under demolition in the fall of 1957.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 15

Trash Cans Neg. 10031

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 16

S. side of Apartment House at 145 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 9858

Scope and Contents

Mansion at the northwest corner of Second Street and Bunker Hill Avenue built by a man named Berke in 1886. It became a rooming house known as "The Berke" soon after, run by the family. It was demolished in 1957.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 17

145 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 9846

Scope and Contents

Front of the Berke mansion.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 18

Residents of S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 9993

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 19

221 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 4739

Scope and Contents

Built by Prussian carpenter Frederick Willhelm Sparr in 1883.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 20

302 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 12672

Scope and Contents

Home of the Human Engineering Laboratory, an aptitude testing and measurement service founded in 1922.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 21

219 S. Grand Avenue Neg. 9962

Scope and Contents

The Grand Crest apartments.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 22

750 W. 4th Street near Hope Street, 1949 Neg. 3227

Scope and Contents

Entrance to the Castle Tower Apartments.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 23

Side and Back of 750 W. 4th Street Neg. 6236

Scope and Contents

The Castle Tower Apartments. The structure behind is the Briggs apartments, also known as the Barbara Worth, at 407 South Hope.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 24

118 1/2 S. Olive Street. The Halls of Ivy, 1957 Neg. 10133

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 25

Residents of S. Bunker Hill area Neg. 6001

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 26

344 S. Grand Avenue Neg. 10954

Scope and Contents

Built by C. A. Judd in 1903, designed by Train and Williams. Known as "the Judd."
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 27

208 S. Olive Street, 1957 Neg. 9932

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 28

301 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 9857

Scope and Contents

Built prior to 1888.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 29

Restful benches W/S Bunker Hill Avenue at 3rd Street Neg. 9855

Scope and Contents

The benches of Third and Bunker Hill Avenue. A well-known spot, frequently used in movies.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 30

W/S Bunker Hill Avenue at 3rd Street Neg. 9886

Scope and Contents

The Alta Vista, 255 South Bunker Hill, developed by James M. and Maud Shields in 1903.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 31

238 S. Bunker Hill Neg. 10161

Scope and Contents

Built by Judge Julius Brousseau in 1883.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 32

More detail from new angle. Neg. 9971

Scope and Contents

Same house as page 31.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 33

Window in Apartment at 219 S. Grand Avenue, 1948 Neg. 3056

Scope and Contents

The Grand Crest Apartments.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 34

Looking west by south at 4th and Olive Neg. 12720

Scope and Contents

Former site of the Fremont Hotel at 401 South Olive, which has been removed in preparation for the Fourth Street Cut; what remains is the retaining wall below.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 35

N/S of 4th between Olive and Hill streets, 1959 Neg. 12721

Scope and Contents

Looking east down Fourth Street. The Hotel Clark/Center Garage (architect: Dodd & Richards, 1919) at left. At center, the Selma Hotel, built as the Antlers (architect: Robert Brown Young, 1902); the Black Building (architect: Edelman & Barnett, 1910) is at Hill.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 36

Corner of 4th and Clay streets just before being wrecked, 1962 Neg. 14169

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 37

Window of Barber College (with reflections), 349 S. Hill Street. Neg. 1428

Scope and Contents

American Barber College, located in the Pembroke Building.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 38

Inside Barber College Neg. 14177

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 39

337 1/4 S. Hill Street Neg. 14130

Scope and Contents

The Doran Building (architect: Austin and Brown, 1904).
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 40

W/S of Hill Street from 3rd Street South, 1962 Neg. 14173

Scope and Contents

The Ferguson Building (architect: George Herbert Wyman, 1910). Behind it, the Luckenbach (architect: Edelman & Barnett, 1910).
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 41

Spiral iron stairway back of hotel on Clay Street near 3rd Neg. 11194

Scope and Contents

Hotel Central, 310 South Clay.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 42

Cinderella Snack Shop on Hill Street opposite Grand Central Market Neg. 10332

Scope and Contents

At the base of the Luckenbach Building, this freestanding lunchstand was built in the fall of 1945.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 43

Cooper Do-Nut Shop, W/S of Hill Street between 4th & 5th Neg. 12814

Scope and Contents

441 South Hill. The double feature on the Town Theater marquee across the street dates this shot to 1959.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 44

Pool Room W/S of Hill between 3rd and 4th Neg. 12951

Scope and Contents

Pool hall in the Pembroke Hotel, 339 South Hill.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 45

From S. Hill Street opposite Grand Central Market Neg. 14109

Scope and Contents

Pioneer/Luckenbach building at 317 S. Hill, right.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 46

W/S of Hill Street between 3rd and 4th Neg. 14112

Scope and Contents

Left, Pembroke Building; at right, Doran Building.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 47

More South, same side of Hill Street Neg. 14113

Scope and Contents

Tall building at far left is the Black Building at Fourth and Hill. From there, left to right, the Roberts Block, 353 South Hill (architect: Robert Brown Young, 1904); the arch-windowed University Club, 349-51 South Hill (architect: John Parkinson, 1904); 345-47 South Hill (architect: Parkinson and Bergstrom, 1905); Pembroke Building; Doran Building.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 48

700 W. First Street, corner of Hope Neg. 11212

Scope and Contents

The Majestic Apartments (1904), designed by Millan Holmes. Later, the Rossmere and the Lima apartments (the sign over its door reads Lima Apts).
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 49

Playmates in Bunker Hill area Neg. 4592

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 50

Apartment window at 1st and Olive streets, 1957 Neg. 10134

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 51

George's Grocery at 1st and Bunker Hill streets, 1953 Neg. 9933

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 52

Angels Flight station on S. Olive, 1941 Neg. 2719

Scope and Contents

Upper terminus of Angels Flight, looking east on Third St.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 53

Stairway parallel to Angels Flight Neg. 11378

Scope and Contents

Stairway from Hill Street up to Olive.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 54

Same stairway from Olive Street, 1959 Neg. 12637

Scope and Contents

Looking down from Olive Street alongside the Hill Crest apartments at 256 South Olive.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 55

Overcast day view from Olive Street Neg. 8212

Scope and Contents

Looking down Third from the top of Angels Flight.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 56

Night view of Angels Flight cars (in motion), 1962 Neg. 14155

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 57

Watch your step Neg. 4116

Scope and Contents

People descending the Angels Flight steps.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 58

Surroundings of Angels Flight from Hill Street as of 1959 Neg. 9942

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 59

Tunnel entrance under Angels Flight Neg. 10333

Scope and Contents

The 1901 Third Street tunnel from Hill Street.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 60

In 2nd Street Tunnel looking west, at night Neg. 10022

Scope and Contents

Neon signs for the Hotel President, 925 West Second, and the Shamrock, 825 West Second, which was inside the Hotel Clift at Second and Figueroa.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 61

Weathered spokes Neg. 11350

Scope and Contents

601-611 West Sunset Blvd.; detail of the railings.
Box 1, Volume 2, Page 62

Detail of old residence on Sunset near Grand Avenue, 1957 Neg. 11352

Box 1, Volume 2, Page 63

Evacuation - 1st and Olive streets, 1957 Neg. 10150

 

Book 3 - Bunker Hill, Los Angeles, California: The Passing of an Era 1950-1962

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 1

Cutting down hill between Bunker Hill, Second St., and Grand Ave., 1957 Neg. 12688

Scope and Contents

Looking toward the site being cleared for the Civic Center expansion.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 2

South on Hill St., from former hill between Olive, First and Hill Sts., 1952 Neg. 5280

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 3

From same location showing old Central Police Station on 1st near Hill Street, 1952 Neg. 5636

Scope and Contents

Central Police Station, 318 West First St., built 1898, was demolished in 1956.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 4

Touraine Apartments at 447 S. Hope Street Neg. 13372

Scope and Contents

The Touraine Apartments (architect: Arthur L. Haley, 1904), demolished in late 1963.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 5

Back of Touraine Apartments, 448 S. Flower Neg. 10327

Scope and Contents

At right is the Sunkist Building; in the distance is the Edison headquarters at Fifth and Grand.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 6

Alta Vista Apartments, 3rd and S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 9945

Scope and Contents

255 South Bunker Hill Avenue (architect: James M. Shields, 1902). The large front porches were a 1914 addition.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 7

A child of the Bunker Hill area Neg. 6330

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 8

125 - 127 1/2 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 9881

Scope and Contents

Duplex built about 1883; it was the home of George Ward Burton, writer and newspaper editor. One of the earliest extant structures on the Hill.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 9

Part of same house Neg. 9882

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 10

Wrecking same house, 1957 Neg. 9982B

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 11

A resident of the Bunker Hill area Neg. 10148

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 12

Wrecking Sherwood Apartments at 431 S. Grand Avenue, next to Edison Bldg., 1957 Neg. 11304

Scope and Contents

Hall lived in the Sherwood (architect: Meyer & Holler, 1913) when he moved to Los Angeles, but relocated to the Cumberland in 1952. The adjacent Southern California Edison purchased and demolished the hotel for an employee parking lot, September 1957.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 13

Entrance to Sherwood Neg. 10955

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 14

An apartment in the Sherwood Neg. 10957

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 16

Wrecking of Capitol Hotel, 300 block, W/S of S. Grand Avenue, 1962 Neg. 14101

Scope and Contents

Demolition of the Kenneth, 325 South Grand Ave (architect: William H. Mohr, 1905); still standing is the Stevens at 321 (architect: Frederick R. Dorn, 1904) which was demolished at the end of 1964.

General

Page 15 caption inadvertently skipped by Hall.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 17

Colonial at 316 S. Grand Avenue, 1957 Neg. 10953

Scope and Contents

The Colonial Flats, 312-314 South Grand Ave. (architect: Frederick R. Dorn, 1902) contained four apartments, finished in yellow pine.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 18

Corner of 3rd and Grand Avenue, 1957 9895

Scope and Contents

The New Grand Hotel, 255-259 South Grand Avenue.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 19

Looking east from Grand Avenue at 4th Street, 1953 Neg. 6408

Scope and Contents

Note the Mission-style Fremont Hotel (architect: John C. W. Austin, 1902) at the corner of Fourth and Olive.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 20

Same from bridge on Grand Avenue, 1959 Neg. 12919

Scope and Contents

The Fremont Hotel has been removed for the widening of Fourth Street as part of the Fourth Street Cut project.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 21

Parking lot between 4th, Grand Avenue and Hope St., 1959 Neg. 12918

Scope and Contents

Parking lot where the Zelda, Granada, and Sherwood apartment hotels once stood.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 22

George's Market, 644 W. First Street, 1957 Neg. 9934

Scope and Contents

At the southeast corner of First and Hope streets.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 23

107 S. Bunker Hill Avenue Neg. 10037

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 24

Tenement house, N. Bunker Hill Avenue, 1953 Neg. 6009

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 25

Alley near 1st and Olive, 1957 Neg. 10105

Scope and Contents

The "alley" is Olive Court.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 26

Steps from Olive to Clay streets Neg. 10101

Scope and Contents

Looking up along the steps between the Hillcrest and Astoria apartment buildings.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 27

Steps from Clay to Olive streets Neg. 11884

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 28

From West 3rd, on Olive looking South, 1957 Neg. 12693

Scope and Contents

Partial view of the Casa Alta at right, then from right, the Ems Apartment Hotel at 321 South Olive, the Olive Inn and the Central Garage on the corner of Fourth Street.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 29

Looking south on Olive from near West 3rd, 1957 Neg. 10372

Scope and Contents

Left to right, 324, 326, 330 and 334 South Olive St. These four structures were built as two-unit flats by Marcellus Manley, an oil man from Ohio, in 1898. All demolished in 1963.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 30

Corner of 1st and Olive, 1952 Neg. 5629

Scope and Contents

Pollinger's Market, corner of First and Olive, was demolished in 1953 for the County Courthouse.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 31

Corner of 1st and Grand looking East, 1953 Neg. 6163

Scope and Contents

The block was demolished in 1953.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 32

Looking East on 2nd Street, between Grand and Olive, 1953 Neg. 7102

Scope and Contents

The Koster House, on the north side of Second Street, 515 W Second. The mansard-roofed Argyle Hotel, right, sits at Second and Olive. Other lost structures include the Hall of Records, California State Building, and the gasometers at Commercial and Center streets.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 33

La Loma Apartments, 251 S. Olive, 1962 Neg. 14106

Scope and Contents

Built 1923 by Lewis A. Smith; demolished in 1963.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 34

Cumberland Hotel Apartments, 243 S. Olive, 1962 Neg. 14105

Scope and Contents

The Cumberland Hotel (architect: Marsh and Russell, 1904). This is where Hall moved in 1952. There are numerous shots of its interior in the contact sheet binders. Hall moved to the Engstrum Apartments at Fifth and Grand when the Cumberland was marked for razing.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 35

Wrecking the Cumberland, 1962 Neg. 14120

Scope and Contents

The Blackstone, demolished in 1964, can be seen directly across the street.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 36

221 South Olive, 1957 Neg. 10974

Scope and Contents

Herman Baer house (architect: John Cotter Pelton Jr., 1887). Demolished in 1964.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 37

Close up Neg. 10974

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 38

From apartment at 243 S. Olive. Looking N/E, 1956 Neg. 8983

Scope and Contents

From Hall's apartment window. The two large structures, center, are the back of the Hotel Northern at Second and Clay, and the Fashion League building at Second and Hill Streets.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 39

From same location, 1959 Neg. 12826

Scope and Contents

From the same spot three years later. Note that 208 South Olive has been demolished.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 40

209 S. Olive, 1957 Neg. 10231

Scope and Contents

The May Hotel, built in 1902 as the Larkin.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 41

On S. Olive between 1st and 2nd, 1957 Neg. 10153

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 42

125 S. Olive, 1957 Neg. 10107

Scope and Contents

The boarded-up entrance of "Olive Cottage."
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 43

From the hill (long razed) overlooking Olive at Court Street looking South and West, 1950 Neg. 4595

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 44

South Olive near 1st, 1957 Neg. 10223

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 45

Children of the Bunker Hill area, 1957 Neg. 11206

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 46

Cornice decoration, 1953 Neg. 5154

Scope and Contents

The Court Apartments, 202 North Hope Street at corner of Court street (architect: Theodore A. Eisen, 1906).
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 47

Looking West from Clay Street, 1957 Neg. 10145

Scope and Contents

The rear of 230-232 South Olive, one of the oldest structures on the Hill, dating to the mid-1880s. Demolished in 1961.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 48

Back of apartment between Clay and Olive streets, 1957 Neg. 10104

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 49

A resident Neg. 12727

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 50

121 South Hill Street Neg. 10127

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 51

El Moro, 109 S. Hill Street, 1957 Neg. 6273

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 52

South side of 1st Street, between Hill and Olive streets, 1953 Neg. 9874

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 53

Same between Olive and Grand, 1957 Neg. 9876

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 54

512 West First Street, 1957 Neg. 9902

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 55

"Grand" Hotel on E/S of Grand Avenue between 4th and 5th streets, 1957 Neg. 9999

Scope and Contents

The Grand Avenue Hotel, 416 South Grand Ave., built 1904.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 56

Wrecking the "Grand," space now occupied by a Pacific Telephone building, 1957 Neg. 13252

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 57

Looking South on Grand Avenue from the Court House, 1959 Neg. 12922

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 58

From the Court House looking down Olive Street, 1959 Neg. 12925

Box 1, Volume 3, Page 59

Fantastic construction of old building in area, 1957 Neg. 11199

Scope and Contents

Detail of 601-611 West Sunset, at the corner of Sunset and Hill Place.
Box 1, Volume 3, Page 60

Detail of same Neg. 11200

 

Contact prints (photographs) Series 2 approximately 1951-1961

Physical Description: 8.19 Linear Feet (7 volumes)

Scope and Contents

Contact prints made by Hall of photographs he took approximately 1951 to 1961. Each print has the negative number written on it by Hall. Subject matter varies; images of Bunker Hill are interspersed with photographs of Hall's friends and family, or places he visited. There are only occasional identifications.

Arrangement

Arranged chronologically, by negative number.
Binder 1

Contact prints Binder 1 approximately 1951-1952

Scope and Contents

Photographic prints made from negatives 5018-5997 by Theodore Hall. Negative 5585 has a wall calendar showing the year as 1952. Los Angeles photographs include Bunker Hill, City Hall, Grand Central Market, Plaza Church, Victorian houses, camera club outings. Other locations: San Francisco Bay Area (where Hall's relatives lived); Santa Anita Park racetrack in Arcadia, California; Kellogg Park, West Pomona. Photographs of families, children playing, and other topics are interspersed throughout.
Binder 2

Contact prints Binder 2 approximately 1953

Scope and Contents

Photographic prints made from negatives 5998-7215 by Theodore Hall. Negatives 6172 and 6406 are both dated 1953. Subjects include: Bunker Hill, Biltmore Hotel, Grand Central Market, Angels Flight, Union Station, an ice skating rink, and a drugstore. Also includes parties, families, children, churches, cars, and offices.
Binder 3

Contact prints Binder 3 approximately 1954

Scope and Contents

Photographic prints made from negatives 7216-8591 by Theodore Hall. Negative 7291 is dated June 7, 1954. Subjects include: Bunker Hill, cars and freeways, Angels Flight, Union Station, Grand Central Market, Santa Anita Park racetrack. Also scenes of clearing land, cement work, and construction on Bunker Hill.
Binder 4

Contact prints Binder 4 approximately 1955-1956

Scope and Contents

Photographic prints made from negatives 8592-10006 by Theodore Hall. Negative 8906 dated 1955; negative 9061 dated 1956. Subjects include: Bunker Hill, Los Angeles Fire Department station no. 16, Angels Flight, the Farmers Market in the Fairfax district of Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Also scenes of a trip to Death Valley and a typed summary of the trip by Hall. Many images of Victorian houses and streets on Bunker Hill, and the street named "Bunker Hill."
Binder 5

Contact prints Binder 5 approximately 1957-1958

Scope and Contents

Photographic prints made from negatives 10007-12010 by Theodore Hall. An image of the marquee of the Hollywood Chinese Theater dates the shot to 1957. Also, negative 11602 is dated April 5, 1958. Subjects include: Bunker Hill, various downtown hotels and apartment buildings, Pico House, Plaza Church, Olvera Street, Bradbury Building (beginning at negative 11770), Hollywood, and possibly Hollywood Park racetrack. Also scenes of construction on Bunker Hill, pouring cement sidewalks.
Binder 6

Contact prints Binder 6 approximately 1959

Scope and Contents

Photographic prints made from negatives 12011-13063 by Theodore Hall. Contains photographs and a map of Descanso Gardens, La Canada Flintridge, dated 1959. Other subjects include: Bunker Hill, Grand Central Market, Central Library building, Mascotti Block building, Edison building, and the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Lucky Baldwin's historic properties in Arcadia. Several images of construction on Bunker Hill, particularly huge mounds of dirt on top of a hill where land was graded. Also some movie theaters downtown: the Roxie, Palace, and Paramount theaters.
Binder 7

Contact prints Binder 7 approximately 1960-1961

Scope and Contents

Photographic prints made from negatives 13064-14284 by Theodore Hall. Negative 13906 has a calendar for April 1961. Subjects include: Bunker Hill, Clifton's Cafeteria, bird's-eye-views of downtown and Union Station, Olvera Street, Central Library, Angels Flight Cafe, Grand Central Super Market, F.P. Fay building, American Barber College, Hotel Trenton, Hotel Albert, and the Touraine apartment building. Scenes of building demolition, and empty lots on Bunker Hill. Images of John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson campaign headquarters at Biltmore Hotel, and a bungalow court downtown with address 127-131 S. Hope Street (no. 14085).
 

Negatives Series 3 approximately 1939-1962

Physical Description: 22 Linear Feet (34 boxes)

Scope and Contents

Numbers are not inclusive; some negatives are missing, or there are gaps in numbering. The contact print binders contain prints of negatives 5018-14284, with some gaps in numbers.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Photographic negatives housed in cold storage; extended retrieval and delivery time required.

Arrangement

Arranged chronologically.
Box 2

Negatives 100-2276

Scope and Contents

Negative numbers skip from 1099 to 2000.
Box 3

Negatives 2277-3599; 4126-4840

Box 4

Negatives 3600-3899

Box 5

Negatives 3900-4125

Box 6

Negatives 4841-5006

Box 7

Negatives 5020-5334

Box 8

Negatives 5335-5663

Box 9

Negatives 5664-5995

Box 10

Negatives 5998-6307

Box 11

Negatives 6308-6609

Box 12

Negatives 6610-6899

Box 13

Negatives 6900-7215

Box 14

Negatives 7216-7540

Box 15

Negatives 7541-7849

Box 16

Negatives 7850-8154

Box 17

Negatives 8155-8521

Box 18

Negatives 8522-8836

Box 19

Negatives 8837-9164

Box 20

Negatives 9165-9498

Box 21

Negatives 9499-9854

Box 22

Negatives 9855-10279

Box 23

Negatives 10280-10646

Box 24

Negatives 10647-10998

Box 25

Negatives 10999-11360

Box 27

Negatives 11694-12014

Box 28

Negatives 12015-12332

Box 29

Negatives 12333-12679

Box 30

Negatives 12680-13063

Box 31

Negatives 13064-13458

Box 32

Negatives 13459-13850

Box 33

Negatives 13851-14284

Box 1, Folder 1

Negatives and ephemera approximately 1939-1958

Scope and Contents

Miscellaneous negatives of Hall's family and a few printed and written items received with the negatives, including notes, envelopes with Hall's addresses, photograph contest correspondence.