Raiguel Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Valley Building Photos

Finding aid created by Monterey Public Library staff using RecordEXPRESS
Monterey Public Library
625 Pacific Street
Monterey, California 93940
(831) 646-3741

Descriptive Summary

Title: Raiguel Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Valley Building Photos
Dates: ca. 1926-1940
Collection Number: PHO 905.3
Extent: 2 albums : 36 prints each; 5 unattached prints, 25 x 32 cm.
Repository: Monterey Public Library
Monterey, California 93940
Abstract: William O. Raiguel was born in Freehold, New Jersey in 1875. He studied design in California after the San Francisco earthquake in 1906 and became a partner in the architectural firm of John Galen Howard, which was responsible for several new buildings on the University of California, Berkeley campus in the aftermath of the earthquake, including Boalt Hall and Wheeler Auditorium. After service in World War I, Raiguel returned to San Francisco, working for Gladding McBean & Co. Clay products, and then moved to the Monterey Peninsula in 1926, where he took the position of supervising architect for the Del Monte Properties Co., as well as working independently. Among his local buildings are: the Monterey Chamber of Commerce on Munras Ave., the Monterey Post Office, the Mission Memorial Mausoleum, and the Clubhouse of the Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course.
Language of Material: English


Access by appointment only; contact Local History Librarian or designated staff.

Publication Rights

Reproduction by Local History Librarian or other designated staff; may be restricted due to condition of the materials.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item]. Raiguel Monterey Peninsula and Carmel Valley Building Photos. Collection Number: PHO 905.3. Monterey Public Library

Acquisition Information

Bequest of the estate of William O. Raiguel.

Scope and Content of Collection

Consists of two albums (the 2nd is a duplicate copy) of 36 photographic prints, and five loose prints. The album images are composed of exterior and interior (in some buildings) views of 11 houses, 2 schools, 2 Pebble Beach gate houses, the Beach Club at Pebble Beach, a garage at Hotel Del Monte, a guest cottage at the Monterey Peninsula Country Club, "San Clements Dude Ranch" guest house, a "hut" at Indian Village (Del Monte Forest), and buildings for the Del Monte Riding Club and the Monterey Chamber of Commerce-all designed by W. O. Raiguel, Architect, from the mid 1920s through the 1930s. The five loose prints show an addition to Colton Hall in Monterey (2 views), the front and rear views of the Girl Scout House at Lake El Estero, Monterey, and of an unidentified single story building. Arranged chronologically.

Indexing Terms

Architectural Design
William O. Raiguel
Samuel F. B. Morse
Monterey Chamber of Commerce
Del Monte Properties
Hotel Del Monte
Monterey Peninsula
Photograph Albums
Black-and-White Photograph